Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Transporting kegged beer...in bottles?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Transporting kegged beer...in bottles?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »
Don't skip over beersk comments about turning the pressure down.  You want it over carbonated to account for losses, but you also want to fill as slowly as you can tolerate to minimize foaming.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 04:03:45 pm »
That's the beauty of that setup I posted.  You can leave the pressure as it is and control flow rate (and foaming) by how far you crack the cork.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 04:07:33 pm »
That's the beauty of that setup I posted.  You can leave the pressure as it is and control flow rate (and foaming) by how far you crack the cork.
That would be after the initial rush of beer and foaming, right? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 04:56:04 pm »

I've never noticed that happening.  There is an initial rush of beer, but I don't recall any foaming for the little bit that flows before pressure build up stops it.  But I haven't bottled anything in a long time, so I may be misremembering.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 05:03:08 pm »
I like the thumb-on-stopper method that Denny describes, but I use a roller valve on the fill tube to control flow.  Makes it easier to shut off when the bottle is full, too.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:33 pm »
I'd sure like to bring some to Bill and I'm wondering if you can bottle (traditional, not screw top or growler style)  force carbed, corny kegged beer from the taps?

Turn off gas to keg, bleed most of pressure through release valve, purge bottle with CO2 from extra outlet on manifold, fill at an angle straight from tap, and cap on foam.

I fill all my competition bottles this way, and it works very well.  I usually don't lose more than an ounce or two of beer throughout the whole process.

I have perlick faucets with removable spouts, and I do like to remove and sanitize them before bottling.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »
I've never noticed that happening.  There is an initial rush of beer, but I don't recall any foaming for the little bit that flows before pressure build up stops it.  But I haven't bottled anything in a long time, so I may be misremembering.
I don't bottle anything that way, so I can't say either.  But it happens all of the time in my head ;)

If I have to bottle, I'll use a beer gun if I have a lot to do, and just fill from the tap if it's a growler.
Tom Schmidlin