Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What beer with Thai food?  (Read 14823 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: What beer with Thai food?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 05:54:01 am »
My friend bought some examples of beers and invited my wife and me to the restaurant last night to try out some combinations.

Here's the food: Nam Sod pork salad, Chicken Panang red curry with peanuts, Crab Rangoon, Chicken Pad Thai, Basal Pork, Se Ew beef.  (sorry if I'm not spelling these right).  All were spiced medium.

Here are the beers: Bitburger, Blue Moon, Blue Point Toasted Lager, Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock, St. Somewhere Saison Athene, Ommegang Hennepin, Saison Dupont, Victory Prima Pils, Florida Avenue IPA, Cigar City Jai Alai IPA.

We tried a lot of combinations, but quickly found that the Toasted Lager, Bitburger and Fl Ave. IPA didn't cut it.  The food clearly overwhelmed them.
The Prima Pils went really well with Panang and the Se Ew.
The Hennepin was far better than the other two Saisons with this food at this time, especially good with the Nam Sod salad.
Blue Moon and Crab Rangoon is a nice combination and worked well with almost all of the other food.
The Blonde Bock worked only with the darker, beefier dishes.
Jai Alai IPA was also very nice with the "darker" dishes and stood up well to the curry.

So he's decided to have Blue Moon, Hennepin, Prima Pils, and Jai Alai on hand at the restaurant (in addition to the 6 Asian beers, the popular American Megas and Stella.

He had brought out a bottle of Miller Lite in a Vortex bottle, but it was getting late so we decided to save it for another time.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 05:57:16 am »
Thanks for tying out with the results.  Too often you have threads like this that leave people hanging wondering how it all turned out.  You know, sort of like getting a recipe from Cat's Meow used to be...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 11:46:45 am »
I love all those dishes and am glad a pils made the cut. Try suggesting a Czech pils like Rebel or Czechvar as a consideration for the future. These two are fabulous with spicy Asian food.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis