General Category > Other Fermentables

Homebrewopedia Cider Recipes

<< < (3/3)

Jeff M:

--- Quote from: donredbull on March 07, 2013, 01:42:46 PM ---Thanks for the info I am going to make my first batch here in a couple weeks

--- End quote ---

You seem to be going down the path me and my buddy did.  couple extract brews and into cider.  will alot of things are the same they are different animals.  there is some good literature on ciders available.  we added dextrine to get the OG up past where cider can be for an extra omph.  we also aimed at a sweet cider but used an english ale yeast and got a very dry cider.  Its very good but not quite what we where looking for.  Just a couple of factors to think about!

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: fejjgw on March 07, 2013, 08:07:19 PM ---We also aimed at a sweet cider but used an english ale yeast and got a very dry cider.  Its very good but not quite what we where looking for.  Just a couple of factors to think about!

--- End quote ---
Really, any yeast you use will give you dry cider because the sugars are completely fermentable. To get sweet cider you need to stop fermentation before it hits 1.000.

Jo Diesel:
What class would you be in if you add brown sugar and cinnamon? I do 15 gal fresh cider 5lb brown sugar and soak cinnamon in vodka while fermenting and add in on week 5  . Then prime and bottle in 1L flip tops

Jimmy K:
BJCP style? That would be 28D - Specialty Cider.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style28.php#1d

wilypig:
With the cinnamon in the cider I made several different batches and soaking in a neutral spirit is not necessary. Cinnamon is an irritant and will not support nasties. I used a large quantity in a cider early in the process and it killed my yeast leaving me with a very sweet finished product. Good enough for a BOS but a learning experience anyway. Another way I have used is to take a growler and fill it with cinnamon and top it up with finished cider. Then add back for packaging. This adds no extra alcohol or other components not intended to the cider.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version