Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pan fried Quail and fries!  (Read 6543 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Pan fried Quail and fries!
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »
It was not a greasy as it looked. Quail pan fried in butter with sage and thyme and merlot. Fries recipe was Cooks illustrated. Only thing not from the farm was the p-nut oil for the fries.

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
Re: Pan fried Quail and fries!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »
I love pan fried wild valley quail....it's actually an obsession of mine to obtain these birds, I spend a lot of time on season and off just on this endeavor. I train a dog, shoot several types of guns depending on the conditions... and eat em up along with a Big Brown Ale, and whatever goes along with it!!  I typically enjoy a little Garlic in the pan too!
Beer in various stages!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:16 pm »
Damn Good tasting little birds, we raise them, so I don't have to chase them. I can see why people pay what they do for these little birds.

The pickled eggs are the best ever if anyone likes pickled eggs.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:56:40 am »
Damn Good tasting little birds, we raise them, so I don't have to chase them. I can see why people pay what they do for these little birds.

The pickled eggs are the best ever if anyone likes pickled eggs.

That looks like it was quite the tasty dinner. Nice goin'. In terms of quail eggs, we've thought about doing canapé-sized scotch eggs done with quail eggs as opposed to chicken. Probably easier to eat more of them that way ;-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:06:17 pm »
Dude! That looks awesome! I really need to get out your way sometime.  :D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
Those quail look pretty meaty. Tasty too. How easy is it to raise them?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
Looks tasty!

This is one bird I've never had the opportunity to try. I love home fried potatoes. The peanut oil has a really nice flavor as I use it alot for stir-fry.

The secret is in the cast-iron skillet.  :)
Ron Price

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »
Egue, if you have raised birds before they take a little of extra care. Not to bad. When born they are very small an fragile. Once you get them past that the are a great source of meat. Got 50 raising now they are ready in 8 to 12 weeks. 2 birds per person. Got 120 eggs in the incubator hoping to get at least 60 adult birds which is 15 meals fo the wife and me. Now got to grow the fries. I'm willing to help you if you want to get into it.

Rabbits are next.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 08:16:11 am »
Thanks man. Are they in cages or free-ranging?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 08:58:49 am »
They are in cages, but they get lots of treats from the outdoors. I hope to get an outdoor place set up for them. They have to be caged even out side otherwise you would never see them again.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »
Rabbits are next.

What are you going to do with the rabbits?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »
Raise them and eat them. Oh we plan on preserving an almost extinct breed. We are a member of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. We want to preserve livestock, but they were raised for meat. I have spent a couple months trying to find different genetics to keep Silver fox rabbits genetically viable.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 09:23:24 pm »
Quail are just a food source, like going to the grocery to get your meat but you are responsible from the egg to the plate. Most people don't like that, but I know what is in them because I have been there their whole life time. You got to eat what you know.

Just saying.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 07:59:23 am »
Quail are just a food source, like going to the grocery to get your meat but you are responsible from the egg to the plate. Most people don't like that, but I know what is in them because I have been there their whole life time. You got to eat what you know.

Just saying.

I think its bold move... :D

Would do the same thing if it was legal. I'd keep fowl, pigs and young goats around destined for the knife if it were possible within the city limits. Might be able to do quail. Will have to look further into the local ordinances.

So BB do you butcher and freeze the quail or take them as needed?

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:24:26 am »
Butcher and freeze, rabbits might be a better choice living in the city.