Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next piece of equipment..?  (Read 7144 times)

chargerssb

Re: Next piece of equipment..?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 05:59:08 pm »
So after doing some research I found this http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-1036-Stainless-Steamer/dp/B0009JXYUA/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1302478930&sr=1-3

Not too expensive and will allow me to do full boils.  I will probably also purchase this burner http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=dp_cp_ob_ol_title_1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  For a MLT in the meantime I think I will just use Papazian's "zapap" lauter tun since I have a bottling bucket and my ale pale I used to use for primary fermentation before getting my 6.5 gallon carboy. 

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »
You'll want a way to insulate the tun.  I've placed the whole thing in an insulated box with good success.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »
If I get the 32 quart turkey fryer w/burner I can get rid of my old pot.

Seriously...I'd reconsider getting rid of anything.

chargerssb

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »
Got my burner yesterday.  Can't wait to break it in.  I am definitely going to use my old ale pail as a MLT for now until I find room somewhere for a cooler.  I'll insulate with something. 

I was actually thinking about the getting rid of my pot thing the other day.  I can use it to heat up strike water (is this right) while collecting first runnings for batch sparging.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 04:45:21 am »
I was actually thinking about the getting rid of my pot thing the other day.  I can use it to heat up strike water (is this right) while collecting first runnings for batch sparging.

You'd be heating up the sparge water while you're collecting the first runnings.  Strike water is what you mash in with when you start the mash.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 05:34:57 am »
If I get the 32 quart turkey fryer w/burner I can get rid of my old pot.

Seriously...I'd reconsider getting rid of anything.

Hang on to the pot.  I have a collection of pots that are used to do cold steeps, do decoctions, or what ever crazy addition to the brew day that I can think of.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 07:44:35 pm »
+1 and the smaller pots from the early brewing career can do double duty when making chili for the superbowl party!  8)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

chargerssb

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 10:38:45 pm »
I see okay, still learning about all grain brewing and the terminology. 

I am definitely going to hang on to my old pot.  Can you really ever have too much equipment...?  Well I suppose you can depending on your point of view, but hey, at least the pots can stack...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 09:58:01 am »
I see okay, still learning about all grain brewing and the terminology. 

I am definitely going to hang on to my old pot.  Can you really ever have too much equipment...?  Well I suppose you can depending on your point of view, but hey, at least the pots can stack...

Old pots come in handy. I have an old 32 qt SS pot that I use for decoctions as I don't want to mess up my Blichmann's for that task.

Although I recently sold a converted keg on ebay that was collecting dust. Plus, I needed the space for other equipment. If I had the space I would have kept it.
Ron Price

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 10:13:49 am »
I gave away my old pot to a newbie under the condition that if he gave up the hobby he give it back.

Then I bought another one to use on "Teach a friend to homebrew day".  So I could demonstrate both syrup in the kitchen and all-grain in the backyard.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2011, 10:47:55 am »
Now that you have a turkey fryer burner, don't forget you can also use it to fry a turkey.  I keep my turkey pot separate from my brewing pot because I don't want oil near my brewing stuff but you could always dedicate your old pot to that.  If you've never done a deep fried turkey, it's worth trying.  We do chickens all the time.  3 1/2 minutes per pound so a 6 lb bird is done in about 1/2 an hour, take it out to rest and toss in fresh cut fries...mmmm....