Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing full 750ml belgian beers  (Read 2764 times)

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Storing full 750ml belgian beers
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:13:57 pm »
Hi all,
  I just bottled a belgian dubbel in 750ml belgian bottles which are corked. Do I have to store them on their side like wine bottles? I just want to be sure they are being stored properly.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Storing full 750ml belgian beers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:57:53 pm »
You can store them on their side, bit then you'll have to deal with the yeast settling on the side of the bottle, which makes it a pain to pour.  Generally they're stored upright.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:07:50 pm »
Thanks Denny. I wasn't sure if the corks needed to stay wet like for wine.  Keeping them upright certainly makes it easier to store them.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »
I think it is not so much of an issue with the corks drying out because they are so much tighter. WIth still wine the cork is just barely bigger than the neck of the bottle so if they shrink at all you can exposure to the outside world. but with the larger corks even if they shrink a little it's not going to let any air in or out.

**EDIT** this also reduces the chances of getting a reaction with the cork (Corked flavor)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »
I also believe that the pressure in the bottle helps keep the cork flared and therefore sealed.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:19:05 pm »
I think during the aging process of corked bottles there is an inherent oxidation effect that is part of the complexity that they achieve over time. As long as your racking and bottling process is sound there shouldn't be any concerns with storing your corked bottles upright. Waxing the corks can also prolong the life as I'm told.
Ron Price