Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast vile highly carbonated  (Read 1907 times)

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
Yeast vile highly carbonated
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:09:16 am »
   I bought a vile of WLP001 and when opening it was highly carbonated and under a lot of pressure. The smell was a little sour but not too bad.

I assumed it was contaminated and didn't use it, but is it possible the yeast was ok or is that a sure sign of a bad tube of yeastes?
 Would it be proper to bring it back to the brew store and ask for another bottle or is that just a risk of the hobby?

Thanks,

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Yeast vile highly carbonated
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:49:47 am »
The vials of yeast are often a little carbonated if you let them warm up for a while before opening. But I guess it's better safe than sorry. You could brew up a 1 gallon batch and pitch it just to see what happens. Could be good! what kind of yeast was it?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:04:13 am »
I agree, it was probably fine and just got warm at some point.  A small starter like morticai suggests is a good idea.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:01:16 am »
Also it's a good idea to let it sit for a little bit after you shake up the vial before you open it to reduce the foaming over effect.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:50:51 am »
Agree with the others, it was most likely fine. In fact, I contacted WY about this once and they said sometimes when they do a run of filling their packs they sometimes get some yeast in the packets that is still slightly active. I assume that WL experiences the same thing. And, FWIW, I have had many vials that did this. Regardless, I suggest always making a starter.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:16:12 am »
I've had White Labs vials arrive in the mail that had gotten so hot they leaked inside the box.  With a starter they were still fine but I did learn that I can't mail-order yeast most of the year down here.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:22:18 am »
Timely thread! Last night  I was making step 1 of my starter for next weekend.  When I cracked the seal on the vile of WLP800 I got a nice spray of yeast.   After slowly releasing the pressure I went ahead and pitched it.  All I smelled was yeasty goodness and it seems to be chugging along nicely this morning.  After all, I'm a home brewer and its all part of the adventure!  

The mfg date of my WLP800 was somewhere around 3-18-11.   Just out of curiosity, what was the mfg date on your WLP001?
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:11:01 am »
Thanks for replies, I'll not worry about it so much next time.

Thought I put the bottle back in the fridge but can't find it, so not sure of the date. I had a safale -05 as a backup yeast I put in the starter so it worked out ok. Always have that backup yeast :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 09:57:57 am »
You should actually never make a starter with dry yeast because the glycogen in the cell walls are already built up and making a starter make cause the yeast to deplete those reserves, especially considering the cell count in a pack of US-05 is over 2Xs that of a vial, maybe much more if the vial is old. Just sprinkle on top of work or, for best bet, rehydrate in 90 degree warm water.

Also, I always sanitize the vial and/or smack pack before opening so that if any sprays on the outside and drips into my starter wort it won't carry a contamination in with it.