Author Topic: Ommegang Three Philosopher's  (Read 2222 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Ommegang Three Philosopher's
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 04:16:56 PM »
This one was never one of my favorites.  Despite the blending, it seems to lack the complexity of a simpler Trappist dubbed.  I also don't think it ages very well... the year prominently displayed on the labeling seems to encourage vertical tastings that always disappoint.

The brewery is fun to visit, however.

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
This one was never one of my favorites.  Despite the blending, it seems to lack the complexity of a simpler Trappist dubbed.  I also don't think it ages very well... the year prominently displayed on the labeling seems to encourage vertical tastings that always disappoint.

The brewery is fun to visit, however.

I like Ommegang, don't get me wrong.  Hennepin... yes please!
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »
I was underwhelmed myself with it too, but I partly blame my massive overexpectations for it...at one point I was considering ordering a case direct from Ommegang, it seemed such a perfect beer idea (this was at a time when that would have been a greatly irresponsible expenditure for me!).  Finding it locally a few years back was a great treat, and when I tried it...it was good, but I had built it up far too much in my mind.  If they could actually increase the kriek blend and make the cherry a little less subtle I'd be more interested actually.  I should try it again, but I've had a hard time dropping money on expensive beer lately!  AG brewing will do that to you...