Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: used kegs  (Read 3889 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
used kegs
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:27:22 pm »
I was cleaning out some used cornies I got . . . some of them are pretty messed up.  Check out this diptube:

Note that the top of the diptube is on the right!  It was so bent it had a kink right near the top so there was no way to pull it out.  I had to cut the top off the tube and pull it out through the lid opening.

Has anyone every tried to remove the bottom from a corny keg?  I have one keg that is perfect except the bottom is missing, but I figure if I can pull the bottom off of one of the thrashed kegs than I can make a whole one.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: used kegs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:10 am »
If you're talking about the rubber boot...here is a short thread on replacing the part.

http://hbd.org/brewsandviews/messages/20001/21038.html?1079365625
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:59 am »
Oof. Hope you didn't pay too much for them.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:05:46 am »
I had one come off by itself.  I just put a bunch of liquid nails in the boot and filled the keg with water for weight.   It's been stuck on there for about 5 years now.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:54:11 am »
Thanks, I've used liquid nails to re-attach the rubber top or bottom to a keg, it works well.  I'm just trying to figure out how to remove the bottom from one keg so I can move it to another one.

The kegs were reasonable, I expect to get some duds in the batch and the guy gave me a bag full of spare parts and a couple of scrap kegs to scavenge from.  The worst ones have a tear in the lid opening, there's not much I can do to fix that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:19 am »
Thanks, I've used liquid nails to re-attach the rubber top or bottom to a keg, it works well.  I'm just trying to figure out how to remove the bottom from one keg so I can move it to another one.

The kegs were reasonable, I expect to get some duds in the batch and the guy gave me a bag full of spare parts and a couple of scrap kegs to scavenge from.  The worst ones have a tear in the lid opening, there's not much I can do to fix that.

I would suggest trying heat although I think I read about a guy autoclaving cornies so, presumably that is not going to work.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »
I've always assumed the boots were vulcanized to keg.  Removal would be near impossible.  Maybe a really sharp knife, a level of patience I've never achieved and slowly making tiny cuts to remove it would work?

Gluing one on is the easy part of the problem.

Good luck!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?