Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones  (Read 4657 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
A Game of Thrones
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:41:04 am »
Anyone else excited to watch this tonight?

I don't know how many of you have read the books, but they are fantastic.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:56:30 am »

Read three of the books. Would like to see the series. Don't have HBO. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:03:34 pm »
clueless> 1 vert.... but I do need to bump up my post count and
I am almost at the cliff hanger number
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

You're in luck.  HBO and Cinemax are having a free preview this weekend.  Been loading up my DVR with movies I haven't seen yet.  Looking  forward to seeing Robin Hood.  Pee Wee Herman on Broadway looks pretty cool too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline pfooti

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:39 pm »
FWIW, comcast isn't participating in the free HBO weekend thing. At least not my comcast. Stupid comcast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:14:33 pm »
I was excited to see it until I read some of the pre reviews.  Now I don't think I'll waste my time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »

You're in luck.  HBO and Cinemax are having a free preview this weekend.  Been loading up my DVR with movies I haven't seen yet.  Looking  forward to seeing Robin Hood.  Pee Wee Herman on Broadway looks pretty cool too.
Bah.  You had me excited for a second, but I just scrolled through all 700 HBO/Cinemax channels - no free preview in my area.  Stupid Comcast indeed.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:39:23 pm »
Yay! Free HBO in my area. Just finished watching Sherlock Holmes. Warming up my strike water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »
I was excited to see it until I read some of the pre reviews.  Now I don't think I'll waste my time.

Critics are irrelevant, self-important, leaches.  The list of popular hits that were panned by critics is an astoundingly long one.

Sorry for getting your hopes up guys.  The free preview must be a DirecTV thing.   :-[

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:04 am »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:02 am »
Critics are irrelevant, self-important, leaches.  The list of popular hits that were panned by critics is an astoundingly long one.

Which is why I don't blindly listen to all critics.  I find a few who, through experience, I fond look for the same things as I do so I know I can probably trust what they have to say.  Then I usually check it out myself just to be sure if I agree with them or not.   In the case of this show, I decided to check it out and see what I thought.  Unfortunately, I fell asleep before it started.  Was it any good?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:52 am »

I agree.

I haven't read the books yet, but the wife is somewhere in the middle of book 2 and has been looking forward to the series for months now - she enjoyed episode 1.  I liked it too (I had no real expectations, I was just happy that there was a new fantasy type series) - my biggest beef was that the fake snow looked like fake snow on a sound stage.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:06:57 am by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 09:54:28 am »
Was it any good?

I liked it.

I should really re-read the first four books before the new one comes out this summer.  It's been so long that I only remember bits and pieces of the (rather complex but totally excellent) storyline.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:47 am »

Which is why I don't blindly listen to all critics.  I find a few who, through experience, I fond look for the same things as I do so I know I can probably trust what they have to say.  Then I usually check it out myself just to be sure if I agree with them or not.   In the case of this show, I decided to check it out and see what I thought.  Unfortunately, I fell asleep before it started.  Was it any good?

Sorry about the rant Denny.  I meant no disrespect to you.  Let's just say my experiences with critics have not been happy ones.

Got it on the DVR.  Plan is to watch it with Mrs. Punatic this evening over a bottle of mead.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 11:23:53 am »
I watched all three (mostly- was brewing and making tamales) and was somewhat underwhelmed. Knowing the story there was little frame of reference or initial plot development to establish a setting. The books do a good job of this. I'm sure people new to the story are baffled. Keep watching...

Otherwise, I think it's an ambitious undertaking. HBO has been up to the task with other excellent series such as Deadwood.