Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All grain equipment checklist  (Read 7492 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: All grain equipment checklist
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:27:01 am »
A wort chiller is a huge plus but not necessary if you have a large wash basin or similar to make an ice bath.  If you are going to go with it though, check out this link: 

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/products/wort-chiller-copper-immersion.phpgclid=CPSA7LXhwqsCFUt_5QodUHGHuw#c1250.

I priced out making it myself versus buying it here and it was actually a little less to buy it with a lot less hassle.  I bought the 1/2" x 50' and it is awesome.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 11:05:35 am »
A wort chiller is a huge plus but not necessary if you have a large wash basin or similar to make an ice bath.

I don't think there's any way you could get a cold break on a 10 gallon batch in an ice bath.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:26 am »
A wort chiller is a huge plus but not necessary if you have a large wash basin or similar to make an ice bath.

I don't think there's any way you could get a cold break on a 10 gallon batch in an ice bath.

Not to mention trying  to lift a kettle hot with 10 gal. of boiling temp wort into a sink.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:51 am »
How can the SS be cheaper than Copper?

3/8" x 50' IC (Copper)    = $72.99
3/8" x 50' IC (Stainless) = $67.99

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 11:21:37 am »
Not to mention trying  to lift a kettle hot with 10 gal. of boiling temp wort into a sink.

Yeah, didn't think of that. I couldn't do that without burning myself.

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 09:55:40 am »
Yeah I have to admit that sounds a little on the high risk side to me. Getting  5 gallons around without any spilling can be a challenge some days. Better safe than covered in 3rd degree burns besides you want to cool it as fast as you can and the price of that much ice over time would pay for the chiller.
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 11:21:11 am »
Yeah I have to admit that sounds a little on the high risk side to me. Getting  5 gallons around without any spilling can be a challenge some days. Better safe than covered in 3rd degree burns besides you want to cool it as fast as you can and the price of that much ice over time would pay for the chiller.

Yeah I would probably factor in the price of an ER visit. Circa 2006 that was about $300 for me.