Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 15830 times)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
So i did my third allgrain yesterday. It was a Raspberry Wheat pretty cool. I am getting the raspberry by adding 5 pounds of frozen raspberry in the secondary. My brewhouse efficiency was 78% is that good?

I have a new brew kettle and i lose around 1.25 gallons of liquid to dead space. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this. I upped my recipe grain bill to get a 1.5 gallon more wort in the end but its kind of annoying to sit and do the math and try to convert recipes i get from people.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »
1.25 gallons is a crap-ton to leave behind in the brew kettle.  How are you draining it?  If it's just a matter of the drain hole being too high up on the side of the kettle, maybe you could look into adding pickup tube.  Basically, a pipe elbow on the inside of the drain that points to the bottom of the kettle.  Because of the siphon effect, you end up draining all liquid down to the level of the bottom of the elbow.
Joe

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »
I have 15.5 gallon boil kettle with weldless valve and a torpido tube that sticks straight in as close to the bottom as I can

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »
I use the torpedo tube bc I add the hops straight to the kettle and send the hot wort through a counterflow chiller I made an if I don't strain first it may clog my wort chiller.

I am lost on ideas not to lose like 1.5 gallons of wort.

Oh and is 78% decent bedeviled efficiency for mashing?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 12:08:40 am »
78 is pretty good. better than I usually get for sure. I think the pickup tube previously mentioned is really the only way you are going to prevent that loss. or fill the bottom of your kettle with something to displace the wort.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2011, 09:01:51 am »
Maybe try tilting the kettle, once it's mostly drained, almost all the way over onto it's side?
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:35 am »
Maybe try tilting the kettle, once it's mostly drained, almost all the way over onto it's side?

That would also work, and with the torpedo tube it should prevent too much hot break from getting through as well, particularly if you use whole leaf hops.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2011, 07:20:40 am »
I use the torpedo tube bc I add the hops straight to the kettle and send the hot wort through a counterflow chiller I made an if I don't strain first it may clog my wort chiller.

Oh and is 78% decent bedeviled efficiency for mashing?

Do you have a hose on the end of your valve to drain into your carboy? You won't get the siphon effect without one. My kettle leaves .75 gal in the bottom without a hose, but with its only .125 gal.
Alcohol fuels my power cells - Phillip J Fry

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2011, 11:43:00 am »

Hop taco. Not mine but maxiboy's.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »
Not mine but a representative pic I posted of a "hop taco".
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:49 pm »
Oops. But a fine representation all the same!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2011, 02:22:38 am »
I think I really only lose about a gallon which is fine. The gallon that is left behind has all the left over hops and other crud that don't want to mess with. I think the biggest problem is that I am brewing 5 gallon batches in 15 gallon pot the guy at the LBHS talked me into a bigger pot I should have gone with the 10 gallon. You live an you learn. I can just scale and create 6 gallon recipes like I have been.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2011, 07:22:22 am »
One day you'll appreciate the 15 gallon pot, I promise you that. You'll probably even wonder why you didn't get a 20 gallon pot.
Mark Gres