Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need Thai recipe  (Read 3404 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Need Thai recipe
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:15:10 am »
Anyone got a tried and true recipe for Pad See Ew aka Pad Sew aka Pad Seuw?  Had a great version last weekend while judging the first round in Indianapolis at a little place called Siam Square.  They call it Pad Seuw there, but I've seen those other names too.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Need Thai recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:44:25 am »
Anyone got a tried and true recipe for Pad See Ew aka Pad Sew aka Pad Seuw?  Had a great version last weekend while judging the first round in Indianapolis at a little place called Siam Square.  They call it Pad Seuw there, but I've seen those other names too.

I LOVE that stuff, Gordon. Here's the recipe I use. http://www.shesimmers.com/2010/06/pad-see-ew-recipe-how-to-make-pad-see.html
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:49:40 am »
Also when I do this I use my kettle burner and a big-ass wok, and do it outside, of course.
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:40:44 am »
Also when I do this I use my kettle burner and a big-ass wok, and do it outside, of course.

+1  A big wok with intense heat. Try using peanut oil....great flavor.

You may have seen this but...Here's a step by step recipe and process.

http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Pad_See_Ew.htm
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:45:38 am »
Thanks guys.  The place I went to used some baby bok choy, chopped up, along with the chinese broccoli.  Also looked like less meat in the overall ratio (I chose pork, but think shrimp would be good too).  Just wanted to check on the technique and sauce.  Oh, and how are the noodles best obtained?  Are they fresh or dried in the market?  Any brands/labels to look for?  I have a feeling making them at home will take some practice. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:08:19 am »
Thanks guys.  The place I went to used some baby bok choy, chopped up, along with the chinese broccoli.  Also looked like less meat in the overall ratio (I chose pork, but think shrimp would be good too).  Just wanted to check on the technique and sauce.  Oh, and how are the noodles best obtained?  Are they fresh or dried in the market?  Any brands/labels to look for?  I have a feeling making them at home will take some practice. 

You should be able to find those in just about any "asian" market, and I'd say go with fresh if possible. Dried will be OK but need to be rehydrated like dry rice stick noodles.
----

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:49 am »
Are they just called fresh rice noodles, and are of the right shape?  Or do they come in sheets or something and you have to cut them to size? 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:04:17 am »
Are they just called fresh rice noodles, and are of the right shape?  Or do they come in sheets or something and you have to cut them to size? 

"Sen yai" noodles are what you're looking for.
----

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 11:25:40 am »
Cool.  I'll look for those.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:54 am »
I think it's the regular wide rice noodles. Should be several different brands to choose from.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis