Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle question  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Re: Kettle question
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 06:28:28 pm »
Right, and I always lower the PH of my HLT water to about 6, as per Kai's suggestions and Martin's.  Getting a PH meter was worth it for me.  Kai says the German breweries are not afraid to mash thin, as you've probably read by now.
Kirk Howell

Offline matiasek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 11:56:15 pm »

I have an insulated "mash cozy" too.  Made it more than a decade ago.  I lose maybe 1 degree an hour with it on vs. 8-10 degrees an hour with it off.  And that's in cold (but not freezing) weather.

Gordon, have you got any pics of this cozy?  I am currently trying to fabricate one and I am trying to consider all my options.  thanks!

Mike

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 04:45:37 am »
I was wondering about the mash being too thin if I just added HLT water.  Right now, I do a ratio of about 1.25quarts to a pound of grain.
Getting the mash "too thin" isn't really a concern.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 05:43:17 am »
Right, and I always lower the PH of my HLT water to about 6, as per Kai's suggestions and Martin's.  Getting a PH meter was worth it for me.  Kai says the German breweries are not afraid to mash thin, as you've probably read by now.

Same for French brewers. We visited a brewery when I was in Limoges, and they looked at us weird when we said we didn't put the whole preboil volume into the mash tun. Then again, their beer wasn't very good...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 06:56:38 am »

I have an insulated "mash cozy" too.  Made it more than a decade ago.  I lose maybe 1 degree an hour with it on vs. 8-10 degrees an hour with it off.  And that's in cold (but not freezing) weather.

Gordon, have you got any pics of this cozy?  I am currently trying to fabricate one and I am trying to consider all my options.  thanks!

Mike

I could take some, but it will have to be next week.  Warning: it's not designed for aesthetics.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong