Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Radishes  (Read 7795 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Radishes
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:05 am »
Unlike the previous 3 years all my radish seeds sprouted and now I have an over abundance.  Plus eating more than 3 or 4 at a time causes my sinus cavities to seal up tight.  Has anybody ever tried processing them into a horseradish type stuff I can preserve?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Radishes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:53:48 am »
I haven't, but I would try slicing/drying them, then grinding them into a powder.  Rehydrate with beer of course. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:58:30 am »
Unlike the previous 3 years all my radish seeds sprouted and now I have an over abundance.  Plus eating more than 3 or 4 at a time causes my sinus cavities to seal up tight.  Has anybody ever tried processing them into a horseradish type stuff I can preserve?

Regular radishes? How about pickling them with carrots, jalapeƱos and ginger?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »
Sounds good euge, any suggestions for seasonings?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:28:00 pm »
Salt for sure... Garlic cloves, bay leaf, coriander, mustard seed and peppercorns. And some sugar to sweeten it up a bit.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:56:30 am »
Don't forget to eat some of them raw, with a dip in good butter, and a quick shake of sea salt. Om nom nom.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:55:40 am »
Freshly sliced, they also make a great taco garnish, along with cilantro and lime.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:36 am »
I love eating them raw, with or without butter, but I've become allergic to them.  I want to save them until maybe the pollen season is over and I can eat them again.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:55:42 pm »
Pulled all of them that weren't seeding already and ended up with 6 pint jars and one quart.  I used 6 cloves of garlic, 16 serrano peppers, mustard seed, peppercorns, salt and of course vinegar. Now I wait a few months to see if this works.  If it does I'll do a buttload in the fall.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:45:46 pm »
We need some radish pron!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:37:59 am »
A anybody grow watermelon radishes?

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:50:28 am »
A anybody grow watermelon radishes?

That's purty.  How big are they?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:28:55 am »
From what I've seen, maybe just a bit larger than normal.  I think I'm gonna try to grow some this year.  I LOVE radishes!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:40:22 am »
When I grew radishes only about a quarter ended up the traditional shape and the rest were long. The soil was pretty heavy though. Probably sand should have made up the bulk of the composition. Also, I might not have watered them at the right intervals. Found that while they were easy to grow, they aren't that easy to grow correctly.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:43 am »
From what I've seen, maybe just a bit larger than normal.  I think I'm gonna try to grow some this year.  I LOVE radishes!

What kind of spacing requirements are there? I've perhaps got some room next to my carrots...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!