Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash/Lautering in the same pot?  (Read 3682 times)

Offline robb

• 1st Kit
Mash/Lautering in the same pot?
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »
I recently received a false bottom for my brew pot and was thinking of changing up my brewing system.  Can I simply use the false bottom in my pot for mashing (with some insulation wrap), let it sit and then continue to use it for lautering & sparging.  Short question, can the same pot be used for mash & lautering?  Any cons to this method?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Mash/Lautering in the same pot?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:41:30 pm »
You don't mash and sparge in the same vessel?  I'd say that is the exception, I don't know any homebrewers who transfer from a mash tun to a lauter tun.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jayoun

• 1st Kit
  • Chadron, Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:45:58 pm »
Yes, you absolutely can, just make sure you have another brew pot to complete you boil as you would in an extract batch.  I can't help but get the idea that you are new to all grain brewing? I apologize if I am wrong, but you might check out dennybrew to get some ideas about doing it: http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
-Jared

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:23:20 am »
What I do sometimes is mash in my brew kettle so I can step mach and or decoct, then I transfer the mash to my cooler mash/lauter tun (in these cases it's just a lauter tun) then lauter as normal in the kettle I just used for mashing (after rising is to get any grain particle left behind after transferring the mash to the lauter tun).  I don;t know if this helps.

Cheers,

Richie

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:08:35 am »
I mash and lauter in the same vessel. 

Production breweries have seperate vessels so that when they are lautering mash #1 that has been transfered over, they can start  mash #2 in the mash tun.  They keep that sequence going over multiple shifts to maximize production. 

Not an issue for me, as I have seldom done more than 1 batch per day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!