Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Man, work is p!$$!ng me off.  (Read 8109 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Man, work is p!$$!ng me off.
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 02:37:15 pm »
I agree.  I tell people that I have already ruined one good hobby by going pro.  30 years ago I enjoyed tinkering with cars.  Now they just look like problems. 
I often wonder if that's what a brewing job would turn into.

This is *exactly* why I resist all pushes to go pro.  It's fun now.  I want it to stay that way.

I'll be really interested to hear what Jamil has to say in a year or 2.  A good friend went from homebrewer to head brewer at our Rogue local.  For the first few months it was total love.  One day I walked into the brewery and saw him bottling dozens of cases of root beer by hand (yep, with a Blichmann beer gun!).  The thrill was gone....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:45 pm »
Yep hoping to find a way to survive in the job long enough to make it to the
greener pastures....ha .........ha....................ha.........................................relax go fishin, golfin,drivin,do whatever, after you get new knees

man that time just seemed to drag after that last ha..... :-\
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2011, 10:27:56 pm »
  This has sure been me and Holly's philosophy after to moving to Idaho, and a big reason we came here. We both worked full time, and had nothing to show for it. Both of us made decent money. She was unhappy being away from her family, and that in turn made my life miserable. So, here we are. Living in the in-laws basement. Holly works part time, and now I do my thing every few weeks back in Ohio. Our bills were cut by more than half, and we still have northing to show. But man are we happy! Life is so stress free now. No worries about paying the bills. Just flip the in-laws a few hundred each month for rent, pay the truck payment, and a couple othe things. Sure, we'll never be rich, but we never cared about that. We just want to be happy, and have fun. And by George, that's what we do now. I LOVE MY LIFE!!! sure, I know someday it will come to a screeching halt. By for now, I'm soaking it all in. And, when I have to go back to a real job, and real life, I can't complain, cause it's been on hell of a vacation!! 8)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

beveragebob

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 12:16:52 am »
"Work Is the Bane of the drinking man"

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:31 am »
Tubercle's B.S. in Business Mgt has paid off many times but more so in personal affairs than in the workforce.

While applying for jobs through out the years the college degree got the cold shoulder; employers want to know what you can do for them now, not potentially.

A degree does show you are trainable and can finish what you started though.

As someone else here said, I like working I just hate my job.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee