Author Topic: Man, work is p!$$!ng me off.  (Read 4535 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
Re: Man, work is p!$$!ng me off.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:06 AM »
McDonald's is trying to hire 50k people today...just sayin'  ;D

There were people lined up around the block at the local Mickey D's to apply for 10 positions - slinging burgers!  Asounding!

My son saw that and was amazed.  I said, "Stay in school, study hard and get good grades."
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:58 AM »
I play the powerball...one must have dreams.  8)
It's like religion...you can't win if you don't play.
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

There were people lined up around the block at the local Mickey D's to apply for 10 positions - slinging burgers!  Asounding!

My son saw that and was amazed.  I said, "Stay in school, study hard and get good grades, with a degree that will get you nothing..."

Fixed that for you.  I went to school, got OKAY grades, and my degree got me nothing but a bunch of debt.  College is overrated!
The only point to go to college these days, is to get a degree in something useful, like medicine, engineering, computer science...
I majored in Geography...GEOGRAPHY!  What the hell are you suppose to do with that?  It's like majoring in philosophy...seriously? 
Even if you go to grad school the best you'll do is getting a research job that pays squat or maybe, if you so desire, can become a professor. 
I wish I wouldn't have gone to college.  There were some cool experiences I guess, but none of them had to do with school itself.
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
Someday I want to open a brewpub, I don't think I'll hate working as much when that happens. But I've come to realize, that it's not necessarily the job I'm working at, it's just that I don't like working in general.  I think I'd be just as unhappy at any other job, unless it was one of the things I'm passionate about like drumming, bike riding, brewing...
But the way I see it is work allows me to do the things in life I want to pursue.  Rather than living to work, I work to live.  I don't understand the mentality that you should live for your job.  So as you can see, I'm not a career oriented person...

This pretty much sums it up for me too. I've thought about opening a brew pub too, but with my crushing law school debt (and current low-paying public sector attorney position), it's really only a pipe dream.

Edit: despite my current student-loan debt load, I'm very happy I went back to school. I enjoy practicing law and I know my prospects for the future improve a little each day (eventually, I'll make a move to private practice).  It's not school I resent. It's just a still-bleak job market coupled with a lot of debt. Would I have done things differently?  No way!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:04:08 PM by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »
My advice to anyone attending college is to have an exact goal in mind and work towards it. If you don't have this after the first two years you are probably going to waste your efforts. Sure there'll be a diploma and all that but it is possible to graduate college without gaining any real skills or pertinent knowledge. I estimate the majority end up in this situation and find themselves working jobs they don't like and never expected to do in the first place.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
  • Kit B - Bottineau Prairie, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
...Or, they go to school for something they love & when they get out, they find out that the real world has twisted that occupation into something totally different & completely hateful.

I got a 2-year tech. school degree...Just in case.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:57:42 AM by Kit B »
-    Head Cook & Bottle Washer    -
-      Bottineau Prairie Brewing      -

FBDU: Prairie & Northwoods Mobile Superintendant

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »
...Or, they go to school for something they love & when they get out, they find out that the real world has twisted that occupation into something totally different & completely hateful.

Word.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
Such cynicism... wow.

I use what I learned in college every day.  I chose a degree that is relevant, studied hard and learned a lot.  I moved to my favorite place on earth, figured out how to apply what I know to provide services people need and want and are happy to pay well for.  I provide the best value I can and have a great time doing it.

Things I know:

You'll never get rich being an employee
If you're not having fun making a living you're dying a little bit every day.
You have to be motivated to be successful.  Find what motivates you.
Life is not meant to be a struggle.  It's OK to be happy.
If your life sucks, figure out what will make you happy, then figure out how to make that happen. 
You can make it happen if you really want it.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »

Or perhaps this might make more sense:

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"

The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"

The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"

The graduate with a Liberal Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »

Or perhaps this might make more sense:

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"

The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"

The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"

The graduate with a Liberal Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

Heard that one before.

That's a tad insulting but there's some merit to it as well. I was still slinging drinks after graduating with a BFA. Easy cash kept me solvent. Parleyed it into a science degree. ;)

Things I know:

You'll never get rich being an employee I don't think this is true at all because everyone has to answer to somebody.
If you're not having fun making a living you're dying a little bit every day. :P
You have to be motivated to be successful.  Find what motivates you. Spot on.
Life is not meant to be a struggle.  It's OK to be happy. YES!
If your life sucks, figure out what will make you happy, then figure out how to make that happen. 
You can make it happen if you really want it.
Hey! That's what I did... :D

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 01:40:03 AM »
Answering to an employer is going to make you wealthy?  hmm...

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:06 AM »
Answering to an employer is going to make you wealthy?  hmm...

See: Hedge Fund manager. I've got a friend who does Hedge Fund management in CT. Let's just say he's not hurting for money, neither is his boss.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 05:36:34 AM »
Why the focus on being rich or wealthy?  I guess if that's your bag, more power to you.  I'd like to have a comfortable life, but I have no interest in pursuing wealth just for the sake of it.  You can't take it with you, man! ;)
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 05:56:11 AM »
...  College is overrated!  The only point to go to college these days, is to get a degree in something useful, like medicine, engineering, computer science...
I majored in Geography...GEOGRAPHY!  What the hell are you suppose to do with that?  It's like majoring in philosophy...seriously? 
Even if you go to grad school the best you'll do is getting a research job that pays squat or maybe, if you so desire, can become a professor.

... you can do this:

I got a 2-year tech. school degree...Just in case.

I've got a diploma in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) from a tech college.  Its basically applied Geography - many of my co-workers have degrees in Geography or Geology, and then went to a tech for GIS.  I'm a civil servant - its not gonna make me rich, but its steady work, with decent benefits & pension.  I don't always love it (or even like it), but I go home happier at the end of the day than I did in my previous career (IT/tech support, which I hated).
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 06:17:55 AM »
Why the focus on being rich or wealthy?  I guess if that's your bag, more power to you.  I'd like to have a comfortable life, but I have no interest in pursuing wealth just for the sake of it.  You can't take it with you, man! ;)

Oh I agree with you 100%, but I'm just saying if you wanna make money you don't necessarily have to be your own boss.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!