Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: corny keg lid relief valve melted  (Read 4678 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
corny keg lid relief valve melted
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:53:24 pm »

I just did something real dumb...To sanitize the corny keg lids I sprayed them with alcohol and flamed them.  That was a dumb idea because the valve melted into my new newly transfered beer.  I think the base on the relief valves are made of epoxy, or at least that's what my beer smells like now.

How can I fix these lid valves?
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: corny keg lid relief valve melted
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:15:37 pm »
Get new lids.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:31 pm »
It depends on the style of lid.  For the two on the left I think you can buy a replacement valve as long as you can get the threads and everything clean enough to get a good seal, but it's hard to tell from the pic if these are the right ones.

For the one with the big hole in it you can get something like this:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/safety-relief-valve-dome-style.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:50:11 pm »
It depends on the style of lid.  For the two on the left I think you can buy a replacement valve as long as you can get the threads and everything clean enough to get a good seal, but it's hard to tell from the pic if these are the right ones.

Thanks tschmidlin,

I have the firestone keg lid, and that's big relief valve I think I'll need.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:16 am »

Thanks tschmidlin,

No worries.  Just so you know, that's the first one I found and there may be less expensive versions out there.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:05:05 am »
I sprayed them with alcohol and flamed them. 

Not sure about the flaming but I've wondered in the past if Purel would work as a sanitizer in a pinch.  I was going to open a Wyeast pack the other day and didn't have any Star-San mixed up.  I wanted to sanitize the pack and scissors so I ended up wiping them down with bleach but I was curious if Purel (hand-sanitizer) would have worked.  Would be easier and probably safer.

Of course, I've also wondered how Purel and Coke would taste when I'm stuck in a work meeting (people at work are nuts with the Purel, it's everywhere).

As far as keg parts, here's who I use.
www.ontariobeerkegs.com 
Don't know if they have valves but they probably have used ones.  Stuff from here is ok but it's all used or reconditioned and will need a good cleaning.

Good luck finding replacements

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:21:18 am »
Not sure about the flaming but I've wondered in the past if Purel would work as a sanitizer in a pinch.  I was going to open a Wyeast pack the other day and didn't have any Star-San mixed up.  I wanted to sanitize the pack and scissors so I ended up wiping them down with bleach but I was curious if Purel (hand-sanitizer) would have worked.  Would be easier and probably safer.

I just keep a box of alcohol wipes around (and a drug store bottle of isopropyl) for situations like that.
Joe

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
I've got in the habit of refilling a mister bottle with StarSan at every opportunity. Seems like the need for quick sanitation comes up a lot and I've found having this handy to be very convenient and quick.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:05:38 pm »
+1000

Squirt bottle full of StarSan makes life easy.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »
+1000 to never lighting isopropyl alcohol on fire again.  I'll have to try the starsan spray bottle instead.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »

I just did something real dumb...To sanitize the corny keg lids I sprayed them with alcohol and flamed them.  That was a dumb idea because the valve melted into my new newly transfered beer.  I think the base on the relief valves are made of epoxy, or at least that's what my beer smells like now.

"the valve melted into my new newly transfered beer." Did you attempt to sanitize the lids after you transferred the beer into the keg and fixed the lid in place?

If so, not sure what you were trying to accomplish. Bad can't get inside once sealed.

Might want to see a counselor about OCD (or CDO if you prefer the letters in order).

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 03:28:38 pm »
SMH...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »

"the valve melted into my new newly transfered beer." Did you attempt to sanitize the lids after you transferred the beer into the keg and fixed the lid in place?

If so, not sure what you were trying to accomplish. Bad can't get inside once sealed.

Might want to see a counselor about OCD (or CDO if you prefer the letters in order).

OCD...yeah, I might be anal about having things absolutely clean and sanitary, and my medicine is beer.  I was trying to reopened the keg lid trying to dry hop.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 06:26:01 am »

OCD...yeah, I might be anal about having things absolutely clean and sanitary, and my medicine is beer.  I was trying to reopened the keg lid trying to dry hop.

Ahh...that is a good reason to then. I congratulate you or your diligence.

If beer is your medicine then Starsan are the vitamins. They work together to keep our obsession clicking along ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 10:56:41 pm »

Thanks tschmidlin,

No worries.  Just so you know, that's the first one I found and there may be less expensive versions out there.
A friend of mine pointed me to these today - they look similar, but are $5 cheaper.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=454
Tom Schmidlin