Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: new bottle of CO2....regulator issues  (Read 2078 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
new bottle of CO2....regulator issues
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:29:05 pm »
I got a new bottle of CO2 (my first trade in) and all of a sudden, I can't seem to dial in the pressure on my regulator.....I have gotten to the point of it being two psi low or two psi high....luckily it only gives a little more head (who of us would complain about a little more....).  I bought my regulator used (really, really used) and it has me shopping for new regulators....

is this normal or is there some other factor (like the higher pressure in the bottle)?  Should I relax (not my style, although I try)? Should I buy a new regulator?  If so, what is the best regulator (or what to look for)?

thanks,
g
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Re: new bottle of CO2....regulator issues
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:57:30 pm »
Do you have another pressure gauge?  How do you know it's high or low?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:07:25 pm »
I can't verify it's accuracy, but I can't dial it in to any specific number on the low pressure gauge.....frustrating, but really it doesn't ruin my day.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »
Er?  You mean it drifts off of where you set it?  That sounds odd if so.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:20:41 pm »
I've seen this when the regulator is cold.

Assuming it is bad though, rather than shop for a new regulator, you might look for a rebuild kit.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:04:46 am »
I got a new bottle of CO2 (my first trade in) and all of a sudden, I can't seem to dial in the pressure on my regulator.....I have gotten to the point of it being two psi low or two psi high....luckily it only gives a little more head (who of us would complain about a little more....).  I bought my regulator used (really, really used) and it has me shopping for new regulators....

is this normal or is there some other factor (like the higher pressure in the bottle)?  Should I relax (not my style, although I try)? Should I buy a new regulator?  If so, what is the best regulator (or what to look for)?

thanks,
g
It may be normal. I don't know how you're set up but sometimes it takes a while for things to stabilize.  If your previous tank was low (and why wouldn't it be if you refilled/swapped it?) then your regulator was likely putting out a higher outlet pressure than when your tank was full (this is normal, if inlet pressure decreases a lot, outlet pressure increases...to a point).  If your keg(s) got carbed up to this level, then when you swap out the tank the regulator will go back to the lower pressure output but the 'overcarbed' keg will tend to slowly creep the pressure up.  You may have to vent the keg a few times a bit to get it back down to your target carb level.  In any case, try to take everything else out of the equation; i.e. use just the tank, reg, and close the reg outlet valve.  Many of these regs are not self-venting so you may have to vent via a QD/poppet or relief valve whenever you reduce the regulator setting.  Also, if you 'quickly' vent a line the reg will often overshoot on recovery (which might lead you to believe the pressure is too high so you reduce the reg, then it stabilizes too low). HTH.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 07:33:09 am »
It may be normal. I don't know how you're set up but sometimes it takes a while for things to stabilize.  If your previous tank was low (and why wouldn't it be if you refilled/swapped it?) then your regulator was likely putting out a higher outlet pressure than when your tank was full (this is normal, if inlet pressure decreases a lot, outlet pressure increases...to a point).  If your keg(s) got carbed up to this level, then when you swap out the tank the regulator will go back to the lower pressure output but the 'overcarbed' keg will tend to slowly creep the pressure up.  You may have to vent the keg a few times a bit to get it back down to your target carb level.  In any case, try to take everything else out of the equation; i.e. use just the tank, reg, and close the reg outlet valve.  Many of these regs are not self-venting so you may have to vent via a QD/poppet or relief valve whenever you reduce the regulator setting.  Also, if you 'quickly' vent a line the reg will often overshoot on recovery (which might lead you to believe the pressure is too high so you reduce the reg, then it stabilizes too low). HTH.

This sounds like what is happening, or a decent explanation....part user error is always my first suspect.