Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale "Style"  (Read 20864 times)

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
Re: Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale "Style"
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 08:03:42 am »
Most aren't roasty enough to do well in existing styles. I entered an American Stout in to a recent comp that was months older than prime. The roast had mellowed out. The Judges both said it would have been better entered as a CDA in specialty beers. I don't think it was hoppy enough to be like a IPA. I think a specialty category in IPA  would be the best place for them.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:11 am »

As for the name . . . I refuse to call it a Black IPA.  Don't like the name CDA?  Come up with something else, I don't care as long as it makes some sense.

Why doesn't it make sense? Because they aren't pale? We live with Imperial IPA which is not got anything to do with imperialism and Double IPA which are not double of a normal IPA and barleywine which are not wine as wine is made from must and I could go on and on. Why is this one misnomer the one everyone is hung up on?

Back in the 90s when Greg Noonan and John Maier were making these and most of the people advocating the CDA name (or the idea that these were recently invented) were in diapers, nobody seemed to mind having them described as black IPA. I think normal rational people that are trying to communicate and not be pedantic understand what that means.

The more interesting question to me is whether or not there has ever been a campaign to name a beer style before? It seems like in recent history John Maier could call a beer Imperial IPA and Vinnie Cilurzo could call a beer Double IPA and the names just stuck without a bunch of pedantic nerds telling them that the names were technically wrong and proposing a self serving alternative.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 08:16:26 am »
"Pedantic nerds."   

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 09:49:27 am »
"Pedantic nerds."   

Cross Dressing Amateurs  :D
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 09:55:30 am »
"Pedantic nerds."   

Cross Dressing Amateurs  :D
love the name, and with the right artwork it would make a great beer label. but.... if you're not talking to a pedantic beer nerd, just think of the explanation process......

I want a CDA, that's a Cross Dressing Amateur. We call it that rather than the original Cascadian Dark Ale because...... and because the other name, Black IPA, doesn't make sense...... What, what's that you say? Why doesn't it make sense? Well, because......

Just stick with Black IPA & leave it at that.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 10:05:57 am »
Hi all,

I just want to point out that Category 23 Specialty Ale had a HUGE jump in entries in the National Homebrew Competition all 9 US First Round competitions this year due to this fad style.  If I were to guess, I'd say the cat 23 entries were about double the number from last year. 

Cheers,
     Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 10:16:51 am »
As for the name . . . I refuse to call it a Black IPA.  Don't like the name CDA?  Come up with something else, I don't care as long as it makes some sense.
Why doesn't it make sense? Because they aren't pale? We live with Imperial IPA which is not got anything to do with imperialism and Double IPA which are not double of a normal IPA and barleywine which are not wine as wine is made from must and I could go on and on. Why is this one misnomer the one everyone is hung up on?
All of the ones you mention are references to strength and make sense in that context.  Something can't be black and pale, no more than it can be invisible and pink.

Back in the 90s when Greg Noonan and John Maier were making these and most of the people advocating the CDA name (or the idea that these were recently invented) were in diapers, nobody seemed to mind having them described as black IPA. I think normal rational people that are trying to communicate and not be pedantic understand what that means.
I understand what is meant (not saying I'm normal or rational), I said it doesn't make sense.  I didn't invent the name CDA and don't care one way or the other if that is what people call it, and I never said a brewer can't call their beer whatever they like or that they have to consult me when they name them.  The day brewers start doing things based on what I like they will all open up within walking distance of my house, give me free beer, not make any American hefes, and have a smoke beer in the rotation.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 10:31:06 am »
Just stick with Black IPA & leave it at that.
Mark, I can't wait for you to try my Pale Northern English Brown, and my Black Belgian Golden Strong. ;) ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 10:32:25 am »
You forgot to include a prohibition on the use of peat malt in your rant.  Just trying to help...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:03 am »
Some of these names are getting rather oxymoronic:

Black India PALE Ale - so it it black or is it pale?  Lol  (I know - it's black but the name is funny).

Now a 'Pale' Northern English Brown - so it is pal or is it brown?  ;) 

Shouldn't we be calling 'Black IPA's' IBA?  India Black Ale?  Seems more fitting.
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
But why India at all?  It's never been to India and probably not going to India.  It has alcohol and hops in it, doesn't mean that India has to be part of it.
Call it American Black Ale if you like but I don't get why it has to refer to IPA.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 11:00:00 am »
But why India at all?  It's never been to India and probably not going to India.  It has alcohol and hops in it, doesn't mean that India has to be part of it.
Call it American Black Ale if you like but I don't get why it has to refer to IPA.

IPA came about because the regular pale ale the Brits were shipping off to their troops in India was arriving 'stale'.  They added more hops (a natural preservative) to help extend the beers shelf life and help it make the journey to India and arrive still drinkable.

This concludes IPA 101.  ;) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 11:04:24 am »
How about Black Ale?
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 11:04:34 am »
IPA came about because the regular pale ale the Brits were shipping off to their troops in India was arriving 'stale'.  They added more hops (a natural preservative) to help extend the beers shelf life and help it make the journey to India and arrive still drinkable.

This concludes IPA 101.  ;)  

Thanks but I understand where and how IPA was developed.  Don't really need IPA 101.  My point is that it is already a style.  As people started adding more and more hops and upping the alcohol content, it morphed into American IPA which is a lot different than traditional IPA.  It seems to have retained the I portion of the name because it was heavier hopped and higher alcohol from what I can gather. That seems to be the only thing tying this to an IPA.
When people started brewing stronger porters with roasted barley, the name changed to stout porter, eventually the stout dropped off and became it's own style.  I'm saying this is far enough removed from IPA to drop the India reference.
Like the post above says, American Black Ale                   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:07:07 am by gmac »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 11:08:57 am »
Our friends at Swamp Head Brewery in Gainesville named theirs "Floridian Dark Ale"
I like it.  Perhaps everyone should have a regional version and name.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995