Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale "Style"  (Read 20861 times)

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Re: Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale "Style"
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »
I had 'Romulan Ale' at the Star Trek Encounter (or whatever it was called) at the Hilton in Las Vegas years ago.  It was just beer with food coloring.

IMO, way more pressing than all this 'American Schwarzbier' business is the 'European Amber Lager' category with only two subcategories. Why not just call it 'Amber Lager' and add 'American Amber Lager' in the style of Brooklyn Lager and even Boston Lager?   Make it so number one. ;)

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
Cream Ale.  Someone 'splain that name to me, Lucy.

I don't think CDAs are a fad and I don't agree they are the same as Stouts or Porters.  No, sir.  Well made, they can be very tasty.  It's just that there are few well made ones out there.  Oakshire is the only one that comes to mind for me right now.  Unfortunately, I can't get it here.

The debate rages on...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:10:56 pm by Rhoobarb »
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2011, 01:14:48 pm »

I don't think CDAs are a fad and I don't agree they are the same as Stouts or Porters.  No, sir.  Well made, they can be very tasty.  It's just that there are few well made ones out there.  Oakshire is the only one that comes to mind for me right now.  Unfortunately, I can't get it here.

The debate rages on...

I LOVE the dead horse emoticon! and on topic, I was under the impressions that the difference between a (CDA, BIPA, ABA...) and an american stout or robust porter is the roast flavour. where the noonanian ale is dark in color it has very little roast flavour. I have heard about using debittered roast barley and adding it at the end of the mash to get color but not much else. It seems like the BA guidlines posted earlier support this as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »

The debate rages on...

I believe 'Cream Ale' is called that due to the creamy nitro head on it. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2011, 01:19:17 pm »

The debate rages on...

I never had a genesee on nitro! might that make it drinkable?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:48 pm »
Are you thinking of Boddington's?  It isn't a Cream Ale. Cream Ales aren't normally served on Nitrogen.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:40 pm »
Cream Ale.  Someone 'splain that name to me, Lucy.

I don't think CDAs are a fad and I don't agree they are the same as Stouts or Porters.  No, sir.  Well made, they can be very tasty.  It's just that there are few well made ones out there.  Oakshire is the only one that comes to mind for me right now.  Unfortunately, I can't get it here.

The debate rages on...

I never had a genesee period.  Not too good, I take it? 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:27:34 pm by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »
[Like someone else said, American Black Ale, if you wanna put a label on it.

Isn't that just about exactly what the Brewer's Association did with their guidelines...

American-Style Black Ale
American-style Black Ale is perceived to have medium high to high hop bitterness, flavor and aroma with medium-high alcohol content, balanced with a medium body. Fruity, floral and herbal character from hops of all origins may contribute character. The style is further characterized by a moderate degree of caramel malt character and dark roasted malt flavor and aroma. High astringency and high degree of burnt roast malt character should be absent.
Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.056-1.075 (14-18.2 ºPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.012-1.018

Touché, guy.

This is all silliness.  Sinamarian Ale sounds cool, but that implies Sinamar needs to be used.  Noonanian ale sounds funny...perhaps appropriate though.

Noonan!  Noooooooooonan!
Jesse

Offline hike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2011, 02:00:00 pm »
Naming debates aside, I think it's more significant to debate whether they really offer anything new enough to warrant yet another style. Pretty much all the ones I've tried taste and smell pretty much just like an American IPA. If I closed my eyes I wouldn't be able to tell a difference. A lot of good commercial IPA's I've had recently have a noticeable munich or vienna malt flavor or aroma. Does that make them a new style too? Possibly. Is it necessary?

Many feel we have too many styles now as it is. It sure makes studying for the BJCP exam a daunting task. I don't think every beer needs to fit into one of the defined styles. I would say change Cat 23 to be more open or create a "free for all" style. The problem with Cat 23 is that you have to give them a category to compare it to. It kind of discourages people from entering anything really unique in my mind.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:30 pm »
Cream Ale.  Someone 'splain that name to me, Lucy.

I don't think CDAs are a fad and I don't agree they are the same as Stouts or Porters.  No, sir.  Well made, they can be very tasty.  It's just that there are few well made ones out there.  Oakshire is the only one that comes to mind for me right now.  Unfortunately, I can't get it here.

The debate rages on...

I never had a genesee period.  Not too good, I take it? 

Great for killing slugs in the garden.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2011, 02:09:21 pm »
What could be more arrogant, shallow and pedantic than the North westerners trying to claim this beer style as their own when they didn't even create it!!
Yes, we all get together monthly and plot how we can name a beer after one of our mountain ranges (that runs from Canada to California).  Muahahahahahahah  ::)

You forgot to include a prohibition on the use of peat malt in your rant.  Just trying to help...
Thanks Gordon. ;D  I also left out "wet hopped" beers, but I figured it was ranty enough already. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2011, 02:17:28 pm »
What could be more arrogant, shallow and pedantic than the North westerners trying to claim this beer style as their own when they didn't even create it!!
Yes, we all get together monthly and plot how we can name a beer after one of our mountain ranges (that runs from Canada to California).  Muahahahahahahah  ::)

Wouldn't surprise me...
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2011, 02:19:57 pm »

Wouldn't surprise me...
It's fitting that your avatar looks a bit like Mulder.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2011, 02:20:36 pm »

Say no more! It is not yet time!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline samgamgee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2011, 04:22:47 pm »
There's too much diversity in the style right now to make this call. Let is develop for a year or two more and come back to the issue. There are still brewers using sinamar or only dehusked carafa to make their IPAs black, and others are using chocolate and black malts so you're getting completely different flavors.

If the chocolate and black malt versions end up predominating, then they really will be pretty much hoppy porters. If brewers stick to really wanting just color and as little dark malt flavor as possible, I think it will remain a unique novelty.

Cross Dressing Amateurs is a good one though.