Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2112  (Read 14958 times)

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
Re: Wyeast 2112
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2011, 07:55:11 am »
I gave the carboy a good swirling, hopefully that will wake the yeast up a bit.  I'll try to raise the temp a bit too.  I'll maybe give them a swirl again tomorrow and see what's going on. 

Rush is one of my bucket list bands.  Never seen them but probably should before they kick the bucket.  Personally La Villa Strangiato (spelling?) is higher on my list than YYZ.  If anyone is ever flying to Canada, it's easy to remember because YYZ is the airport code for Toronto.

I saw them on this last tour when they came to the White River Amphitheater near Seattle.  Great show.  It was the 5th time I've seen them in my life.  It's amazing, but they almost seem to get better with age.  Alex can still hit all the riffs and Geddy's voice is still amazing. 

And Neil...  He's already the greatest drummer in the World but that's not enough for him.  He continues to learn and to add new percussion instruments to his arsenal. 

For this tour they're playing "Moving Pictures" in it's entirety (starting after the break), and the encore is La Villa Strangiato.  Awesome.  :) 

Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2011, 10:32:51 am »
I use to play in a RUSH tribute band many moons ago and my favorite song to play was YYZ. Although we never performed it live because it was too difficult for the drummer to lay down all the timing and groove changes as Neal is "the man".  8)
Were you Geddy or Alex?  What was your band's name?

Geddy Lee...the band's name was Coliseum. Some of the most dynamic music I ever had the opportunity to play. AFAIAC...Rush is one of the greatest rock trios ever to grace the planet.
Nice. :)  I always thought a great name for a Rush tribute band would be "Glory".  Any guesses why?

From the track "Everday Glory"?
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2011, 10:47:57 am »
That's the nickname for Wyeast 2112?

Not that I know of. :)

From the track "Everday Glory"?

Nope.  It's from The Big Wheel. ;D ;D

Well, I was only a kid, cruising around in a trance
Prisoner of fate, victim of circumstance
I was lined up for glory, but the tickets sold out in advance

;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2011, 11:52:26 am »

Oh wait... That is the subject of this thread...

I'm so confused!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »
Oh wait... That is the subject of this thread... I'm so confused!
I thought we were talking about Gordon Lightfoot? The Guess Who? BTO? BNL?  Didn't it have something to do with Canada? Wyeast 3864-PC?
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2011, 02:44:09 pm »
For the batches ranging in the 1.020's try warming them up a bit to around 70 degrees and then gently rouse the yeast. Check the gravity after a couple days and let us know the results. Sometimes yeast will flocculate too soon if the temps get too low for them depending on yeast stain and other variables.

I shook the ESB up well and put the heating pad under it.  It's been on all day and the bubble rate has gone from 1 per minute at best to 1 every 4 to 5 seconds with a resurgence of krausen.  I think we've brought this one back to life.  Thanks.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:29 pm »
gently rouse the yeast.
I shook the ESB up well

I hope the shaking didn't introduce more oxygen into it. If it does, you could tell people you were shooting for Redhook ESB...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:30 am »

Oh wait... That is the subject of this thread...

I'm so confused!

It's about how playing Rush for your fermenters will make the 2112 strain work better!  (It groves to the beat & does it's thing!)  ;) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2011, 07:42:23 am »
gently rouse the yeast.
I shook the ESB up well

I hope the shaking didn't introduce more oxygen into it. If it does, you could tell people you were shooting for Redhook ESB...

I left the fermentation lock in and swirled more than shook so I'm hoping it's ok.  Had a lot of CO2 escaping the airlock (and some beer) so I don't think it got oxygenated too badly.  You know for a hobby that we focuses on RDWHAHB, you guys are good at finding things for me to worry about... ;)