Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diluting Beer at Bottling time  (Read 3685 times)

Offline daubon

• 1st Kit
Diluting Beer at Bottling time
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:52:30 am »
Hello again!
I was wondering since I am limited in my refrigerated fermenting space, can I make a bigger beer and then dilute the beer at bottling time?  Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic? 

Thanks,
and
Happy drinking!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Diluting Beer at Bottling time
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:05:28 am »
Yeah, you can. Believe it or not Budweiser does this. One thing you need to do it to is to boil the o2 out of your water for 10-15 minutes or so to alleviate oxidation concerns.

The is a recipe in one of Charlie P's book called "Quarter Bock" in which he brews 4 gallons of a high gravity bock and then dilutes 3 of it down to 5 and bottles the extra gallon as is.

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:05:47 am »
I have done this sucessfully, brewing 12 gallon batches at OG 1.062 and diluting post ferment with 3 g of pre-boiled water for 15 gallons of finished beer with an effective OG of 1.050.  The last beer I brewed in this manner was an american lager that placed in multiple competitions.  I am not sure how far you can push the limit here, and would not recommend diluting a beer with 50% water (20% worked well, and I will likely try this again with other styles). 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline daubon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:24:09 am »
Thanks for your input.  I had thought of the oxidation issue.  How long do you recommend boiling the water for?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:05:05 am »
Yeah, you can. Believe it or not Budweiser does this. One thing you need to do it to is to boil the o2 out of your water for 10-15 minutes or so to alleviate oxidation concerns.

The is a recipe in one of Charlie P's book called "Quarter Bock" in which he brews 4 gallons of a high gravity bock and then dilutes 3 of it down to 5 and bottles the extra gallon as is.

;)

Offline daubon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:08:56 am »
I guess I was too quick at responding without fully reading through your answer.  I'm the first to criticize my employees when they don't READ.

Thanks Majorvice.

Pepe

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:34:04 am by majorvices »

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:49:52 am »
I have boiled 10-15 minutes as well.  With my procedure I have actually done this with the premeasured water in a precleaned half barrel (sabco "yeast brink") and then added the 12 gallons beer to the pre-boiled water.  The step sanitizes the barrel and I end up with a full half barrel.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 09:34:37 am »
I guess I was too quick at responding without fully reading through your answer.  I'm the first to criticize my employees when they don't READ.

Thanks Majorvice.

Pepe

I do it as well sometimes. Just giving you a hard time. 8)