General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Diluting Beer at Bottling time

(1/2) > >>

daubon:
Hello again!
I was wondering since I am limited in my refrigerated fermenting space, can I make a bigger beer and then dilute the beer at bottling time?  Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic? 

Thanks,
and
Happy drinking!

majorvices:
Yeah, you can. Believe it or not Budweiser does this. One thing you need to do it to is to boil the o2 out of your water for 10-15 minutes or so to alleviate oxidation concerns.

The is a recipe in one of Charlie P's book called "Quarter Bock" in which he brews 4 gallons of a high gravity bock and then dilutes 3 of it down to 5 and bottles the extra gallon as is.

karlh:
I have done this sucessfully, brewing 12 gallon batches at OG 1.062 and diluting post ferment with 3 g of pre-boiled water for 15 gallons of finished beer with an effective OG of 1.050.  The last beer I brewed in this manner was an american lager that placed in multiple competitions.  I am not sure how far you can push the limit here, and would not recommend diluting a beer with 50% water (20% worked well, and I will likely try this again with other styles). 

daubon:
Thanks for your input.  I had thought of the oxidation issue.  How long do you recommend boiling the water for?

majorvices:

--- Quote from: majorvices on December 15, 2009, 07:05:28 AM ---Yeah, you can. Believe it or not Budweiser does this. One thing you need to do it to is to boil the o2 out of your water for 10-15 minutes or so to alleviate oxidation concerns.

The is a recipe in one of Charlie P's book called "Quarter Bock" in which he brews 4 gallons of a high gravity bock and then dilutes 3 of it down to 5 and bottles the extra gallon as is.

--- End quote ---

;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version