Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northwest Hop Pilsner  (Read 2789 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Northwest Hop Pilsner
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:01:10 pm »
Has anyone ever tried to make a northwest hop Pilsner?  I'm getting ready to make one soon, but figured I'd solicit any pitfalls/issues that might be involved.  I typically put about 8 oz of hops in my 5-gallon batches.

beveragebob

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Northwest Hop Pilsner
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:40:59 am »
Has anyone ever tried to make a northwest hop Pilsner?  I'm getting ready to make one soon, but figured I'd solicit any pitfalls/issues that might be involved.  I typically put about 8 oz of hops in my 5-gallon batches.

I made a Pilsner last year that used Northwest Hops.  Those were Vangaurd, and we really liked it.  Crystal, Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Liberty could work well too.

Just saying that all NW hops are not "C" hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:28:32 am »
yeah - I make a Hood Pils every now and then.  I've submitted it twice to comps and have gotten comments of "Great Noble hop nose!" - kinda funny.  I find its a little (just a touch) harsher than nobles in bitterness.

I've also read (and this is only hearsay) that one very well known US pils maker will sometimes use some of these (Liberty, Crystal, Hood, etc) when they can't get fresh german noble since they are more concerned about having the absolute freshest hops. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 02:15:18 pm »
Mt. Hood and Vanguard are okay, but really aren't the real deal.  I do use them for bittering, but like to stick to Saaz, Tetts, Hallertauh, Lublin for flavor/aroma.

The one NW I did not care for in a pils was Santiam.  Personal taste, of course.

I have made NW hop pilsners with Cascades before, and NW 2row, and the resulting beer tasted just like Henry Weinhardts (the cream colored label) or Leinie's Northwoods lager.  A nice hot summer beer.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »
I like Sterling in my lagers.  They seem to be very clean tasting.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:16:32 pm »
I like Sterling in my lagers.  They seem to be very clean tasting.

+1
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:18:51 pm »
yeah - I make a Hood Pils every now and then.  I've submitted it twice to comps and have gotten comments of "Great Noble hop nose!" - kinda funny.  I find its a little (just a touch) harsher than nobles in bitterness.

I've also read (and this is only hearsay) that one very well known US pils maker will sometimes use some of these (Liberty, Crystal, Hood, etc) when they can't get fresh german noble since they are more concerned about having the absolute freshest hops. 

Kinda like SA Noble Pils...in the sense that it's got a real fresh hop flavor/aroma profile as opposed to alot of the German examples that are more subdued. Don't get me wrong...I love a fresh Bitburger or a Warsteiner but there is something to be said about a Classic American Pilsner.  8)
Ron Price