Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the best cleaner?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: What's the best cleaner?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 03:52:58 pm »
Since metasilicate is the main ingredient of the TSP substitutes in hardware stores, the original post offering TSP and bleach should be sufficient if they are on hand.  I'd support that approach.

Personally I find the cost of PBW to be rather high and Oxiclean does not recommend using their product on food contact surfaces.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 09:14:38 pm »
I'm a fan of sodium hypochlorite for glass and plastic.  Cheap and effective.

For stainless I use iodophor.  Cheap and effective.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:18:47 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 04:35:21 am »
I'm a fan of sodium hypochlorite for glass and plastic.  Cheap and effective.

For stainless I use iodophor.  Cheap and effective.

iodophor is a good sanitizer - but not a cleaner. it's a great for sanitizing stainless, not so great for plastic tubing which ends of taking on the color after soaking.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 07:20:33 am »
Since metasilicate is the main ingredient of the TSP substitutes in hardware stores, the original post offering TSP and bleach should be sufficient if they are on hand.  I'd support that approach.

I actually use Oxyclean/TSP Sub 50:50 which is approximately what PBW is, less some surfactants.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:56 am »
Personally I find the cost of PBW to be rather high and Oxiclean does not recommend using their product on food contact surfaces.

I can't imagine why it would be a problem since you rinse it thoroughly.  No doubt a legal thing.  I've been using Oxiclean on brewing equipment for years with no ill effects other than this pesky 3rd arm.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 10:41:08 am »

I can't imagine why it would be a problem since you rinse it thoroughly.  No doubt a legal thing.  I've been using Oxiclean on brewing equipment for years with no ill effects other than this pesky 3rd arm.

Pesky? Sounds like you'd be able to stir the mash and hold a beer at the same time.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 11:22:58 am »

I actually use Oxyclean/TSP Sub 50:50 which is approximately what PBW is, less some surfactants.
I do something similar, but use a ratio of about 65:35 Oxyclean to TSP substitute. PBW works great, but the Oxyclean/TSP sub. mix is a fraction of the cost.
Mark Gres

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 11:39:04 am »
with no ill effects other than this pesky 3rd arm.

now if i can get that third leg to grow... 8)
Don AHA member

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:49 pm »
Oxiclean will do the same level of cleaning but it lacks the "wetting agent" that PBW utilizes.

Are you talking about a surfactant?  OxiClean has surfactants, but I don't know if they're the same ones or in the same quantities as PBW.

I've more often heard it claimed that OxiClean doesn't have a chelator, leading to inorganic deposits when used with hard water.  I solve that by using it with water run through an ion replacement system ("softener").