Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Initial Therminator sanitation  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Initial Therminator sanitation
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:55:50 am »
Would boiling the therminator prior to its first use be the best way to sanitize? Do folks ever use StarSan with these things. I had to buy the display unit so I didn't get a manual.  Do you have to blow the thing out prior to running it? 
Brewing makes me feel like a little kid... what this? what does that do? why? why?  how come?  Thanks for all your help AHA forum!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Initial Therminator sanitation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »
I guarantee that there is virtually no microbial contamination in a brazed plate chiller unit since the last time any of those surfaces were exposed, the next thing that happened was a trip into a very hot oven to set the braze.  Don't worry about it.

A normal sanitization with StarSan or Iodophor will be perfectly fine.  DO NOT run StarSan through these brazed chillers for a long time since it will erode the copper brazing. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »
Initially, I recommend running some hot water and then starsan through the chiller.

Then after each use, I like to run hot water through both inlet and outlet ports for several minutes to purge the chiller of most of the debris. I then soak the chiller in a PBW solution for deep cleaning and then boil the chiller prior to the next batch. Boiling will sanitize the chiller and mitigate any potential for contamination. 
Ron Price

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:25:24 pm »
I'd also bake it after cleaning to make sure you dry the thing out, and do some additional sterilizing.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:39:06 pm »
I wouldn't bother doing anything special before your first brew.  Cleaning with PBW and rinsing with hot water after each brew session is important to prevent any buildup inside. 

Right before chilling circulate some boiling wort through it for a couple of minutes before turning on the cold water.  I think that baking the unit is overkill.  How does the outside of an immersion chiller get clean?  In the boil.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:26:43 am »
I think I would clean it first.  Don't know what manufaturing oils, etc. they might have used.
Brew on

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:25:04 am »
I think I would clean it first.  Don't know what manufaturing oils, etc. they might have used.

+1
(in mama's voice) ewww, don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline pfooti

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:46:24 am »
Yeah, I circulated a medium-strength PBW solution through it for a while before first use. You can bake it (refer to your instructions) to sterilize it, but it's not particularly necessary unless you have a known infection. I just circulate starsan through it (and my whole cold-side setup) during the last bit of the boil for everyday use. Seems to work fine.