Author Topic: James Gray  (Read 2389 times)

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
James Gray
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:01:46 PM »
Who Are You (please include a picture):

My name is James Gray, and I am a medium-voltage electrician/power-plant operator in the U.S. Army.

Home Town (City, State):
I am from De Soto, KS, but currently stationed at Schofield Barracks, HI.

Homebrew Club:
N/A

I've been a homebrewer since:
About 2 years.

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?
Worst one to date has been while racking from carboy to bottling bucket to batch prime, and not checking the spigot to make sure it was closed.  The spigot was rotated up, but I had it open.  Lost about 3 gallons of beer.

What is your favorite style(s) to brew?
I love Wheats, Belgian styles (except Witbier  :-X), IPA, and my favorite creation Peanut Butter Porter.

What style(s) will you never brew?
Witbier, Sour Ale

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?
It was a Mr. Beer batch.  Turned out OK.  Mr. Beer was a good learning experience.  First 5 gallon was a pale ale extract, and turned out great.  First all-grain was a Pineapple Wheat and was amazing!

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?
Made mistakes, but nothing that turned out better.

What is your favorite beer recipe?
Peanut Butter Porter

Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?

Nope

Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world?
Nope

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc?
Best so far is modified my brew kettle to hold immersion chiller, while keeping the lid on the kettle, and circulating ice cold water with a pond pump through chiller.  My current projects are to build a bottling table, brewing stand, and chill wizard using uniistrut.

Describe your brew system.
Currently using 2 propane burners with 15 gallon mash tun pot on burner, 10 gallon HLT, 11 gallon brew kettle.  Currently designing, and going to build a brew system like Sabco's, but out of uni-strut.  Serve beer out of a converted refrigerator with 5 taps.  Bottle for competitions or gifts with a Blichmann Beer Gun.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?
I shoot for twice a month.

What is your favorite malt?  Why?
I can't pick just one, but Special B and Golden Naked Oates are pretty close.  They are both great in my favorite styles.

What is your favorite hop? Why?
Currently Calypso, or Citra for my IPA, Tettanger is pretty good also.

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast?
WLP 351 Bavarian Wheat Yeast or WLP 500 Tappist ale yeast.  I love what they add to my beer.

Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share?
N/A

What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer?
I just joined AHA about a month ago.  I am married, have a 19 month old daughter, and another kid on the way due around the first of October.

If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?
Sam Calagione.  He seems like a cool guy to hangout with, plus he knows a thing or two about good beer.

Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?
Too focused on fine tuning my recipes to do labels.  I will eventually get into them.

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?
Peanut Butter, Pecans

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?
Bradah Zeke Hawaiian Style Dark Strong Ale

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions?
1 competition, 1 2nd place medal for Light/Hybrid ale

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?
Just me

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer?
Mostly outdoor.

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?
Haven't really came up with too many names, except for the previously mentioned one.  Trying to fine tune some recipes before naming them.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:18:11 PM by mxstar21 »

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
Re: James Gray
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:57:04 AM »
Aloha James!  I am a homebrewer on Hawaii Island.  I worked in a power plant for 15 years for the Orlando Utilities Commission in Florida (lab tech/water treatment systems operator/environmental protection systems operator).  If you ever find yourself coming to the Big Island shoot me a PM - we can get together and talk story over a beer or two.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline mxstar21

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: James Gray
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »
Sounds good, and same goes here if you make it to Oahu.  I will be leaving Hawaii next February, so not sure if I will make it back there.  I was there last July.  I wanted to go there for the Kona Home-Brew Contest, this year but couldn't make the trip.