Membership questions? Log in issues? Email

Author Topic: Delayed bottling after adding priming sugar  (Read 1721 times)

Offline reaviate

  • 1st Kit
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Delayed bottling after adding priming sugar
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:09 am »
We had plans to bottle our beer over the weekend, but something urgent came up & we had to postpone part of the process.  We racked to another carboy & added the appropriate priming sugar, but had to stop there.  So, in our infinite wisdom we put the carboy in the fridge (40 deg F) to hopefully prevent fermentation, and plan to bottle in a couple of days.  My thought is the Abbey style yeast (Wyeast 1214) will go dormant, until we bottle & let them sit at room temp. to condition.  It will be about 5 days from the time we added the sugar, and it sitting in the fridge before bottling.
Don't know how relevant, but OG 1.062, FG 1.008.

Is this a safe plan?  Or, is it safer to warm it back up, re-ferment, add sugar again, then bottle?  Thanks for help.

Offline tschmidlin

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 8198
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Delayed bottling after adding priming sugar
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »
I would warm it up to let the sugar get used up, then add more when you bottle.  I think it will still have fermented some of the sugar so you'll end up with less carbonation than you wanted.  The problem is it might not all get used up in 5 days with the low numbers of yeast in the carboy now.  If it takes 7-14 days to carbonate in the bottle, you can expect it to take that long in the carboy too I think.  So I would warm it and let it go for another week, then re-prime and bottle.

But I've never had that happen to me, so maybe someone else has more direct experience.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • ********
  • Posts: 2654
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Delayed bottling after adding priming sugar
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:00 pm »
I would agree that letting it ferment out and then re-priming is the safest way to go.  Without lots of before/after gravity measurements and calculations, it's just too hard to determine how much of the original priming had and had not fermented and how much more to add.