Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fastest Turnaround Time?  (Read 19270 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Fastest Turnaround Time?
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:58 pm »
Hilarious . . . I've heard people say that, but never seen that site. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 01:43:59 pm »
Yeah lmgtfy.com is kinda funny, but I don't know.. everytime I've wanted to bust it out, I suddenly feel like a dick. Stupid feeling things. :)

On a more thread related note:

The Mild was served at the fest. It was awesome. Went through ~3 gallons of it, but people didnt seem to be gunning that much for the session beers - blew through 10 gallons of Rye IPA though!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 01:57:08 pm »
Yeah lmgtfy.com is kinda funny, but I don't know.. everytime I've wanted to bust it out, I suddenly feel like a dick. Stupid feeling things. :)
Good point, I think I'd only use it on someone I know well and I know can take a joke.  Like my brother.  Or Denny. ;D

On a more thread related note:

The Mild was served at the fest. It was awesome. Went through ~3 gallons of it, but people didnt seem to be gunning that much for the session beers - blew through 10 gallons of Rye IPA though!
People at a beer fest not gravitating towards a mild?  Really?! ;)  If you had called it Six Day Ale people might have tried it out of curiosity, but put mild in the name . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 07:22:18 pm »
Good point, I think I'd only use it on someone I know well and I know can take a joke.  Like my brother.  Or Denny. ;D

Yeah, that's why I answered the question first. It was a joke for the forum, not directed at OP.  I was playing off Tom's suggestion to google it.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 10:46:35 pm »
People at a beer fest not gravitating towards a mild?  Really?! ;)  If you had called it Six Day Ale people might have tried it out of curiosity, but put mild in the name . . .

Actually, I'm always surprised. we'll run through a healthy 20 gallons or so of traditional session ales during the fest. This year, not as much.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 06:00:32 am »
Maybe it had gone past its prime.

I kegged a best bitter two days ago on day 7.  It was a little cloudy, its carbed and in the fridge now so I hope it drops relatively clear.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:30 am »
Brewed a Mild on Saturday, started overnight and is now starting to slow down.  Do you guys do any sort of D-rest on these short ferments?  I figured I'd just let it free-rise today in my ~75* F home and let it stay there until I keg it.  Yeast was Wyeast 1968 in stirplate-starter, pitched cool and probably a little overpitched.  Prob not much diacetyl to begin with but I usually just let everything go 10-14 days in primary.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17:52 am »
Yeah, I don't know how 1968 will do with regards to diacetyl. The nice thing with the TVII yeast is it really doesn't produce any diacetyl. So it got 4 days in primary around 65 and was done. Crash cooled it overnight in the fridge. Racked, crash cooled again at freezing and then racked and carbonated.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43:40 am »
Crash cooled it overnight in the fridge. Racked, crash cooled again at freezing and then racked and carbonated.
I was reading your recipe on the Maltose Falcon site and you mentioned you were unsure about racking again.  What is the point of the 2nd racking?  So you went primary to a keg, cooled it and then to another keg?  Is this just for clarity with the reduced timeline or do you do that often?
Thanks

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:32 am »
I just did that for clarity.

When I finished racking to the 2nd keg, I popped open the first keg (that had held the beer overnight at near freezing) and sure enough, there was a healthy layer of yeast and the keg bottom.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 10:21:47 am »
I just did that for clarity.
When I finished racking to the 2nd keg, I popped open the first keg (that had held the beer overnight at near freezing) and sure enough, there was a healthy layer of yeast and the keg bottom.

I know some folks that like this method. It's a little extra work but if beer clarity is important to you then this is a solid method that works well. I usually use gelatin to clear my beer but I will also rack into a second keg in a pinch for time.
Ron Price

Offline thatguy314

• 1st Kit
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 10:38:08 am »
All right speed racers.. what's the fastest you've ever turned a beer from tun to tap?

I've got an experiment going right now:
http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/express-mild

6 days to turn around a mild? Can it be done? I gave the beer a crap ton of yeast and a bunch of O2. - I think I can I think I can!

I find I can usually turn around a beer in a week with high-flocculating yeasts.  I just moved and the first beer back was a best bitter (1.048) and It was carbed and ready to drink in 6 days.  I didn't need to pitch a large amount of yeast.  I just gave it plenty of oxygen and a low gravity wort.  That said, it took about another 10 days before it dropped perfectly clear and was really showing its best (one of my best actually).  My rules of thumb:

- highly flocculant ale yeast
- OG <=1.050 (I can do <= 1.070 in 2 weeks)
- light beer is usually ready before dark beer --> dark malts are very friable and tend to leave some particulates that adds harshness.  they usually need some conditioning time to drink well

There are some tricks I've used for I've also had luck cold crashing cal-ale yeast out over 24h in the fridge when fermentation is complete.  It gets the beer very clear very quickly.  I just do it in the carboy.  I've done in dozens of times.  When I do a 2-stage dry hop, I typically add one set of hops while the yeast are still active, crash the yeast out, and then add a second set of hops.  It adds a really layered hop aroma and helps the beer be ready to drink much faster.  That said, make sure the fermentation is done first.  One time I mistakenly though fermentation was finished when it wasn't, and I got a nasty acetaldehyde bite in my brown ale.  Now I don't crash it unless I get a consistent gravity for 3 days in a row.

However, having said all that, I don't like to force the beers to be ready.  I believe if I don't have enough homebrew to drink, then the simple fact is, I haven't been brewing enough.  I generally do these quickly-produced beers at the end of the summer, because it gets too hot to brew in July / August, and my large-stores I built up for the summer start to run out.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2011, 04:43:18 pm »
I'll have 8 days to get my Irish stout ready.  Brewing it tomorrow.
I served the stout at the party last night, there was a good crowd of Guinness lovers (at least 10 of them from Ireland).  The first keg kicked less than 90 minutes into the party, the second one ~2 hours later.  By 10:15 people had to switch to Guinness. :)  It wasn't just 8 days grain to glass, it was 8 days grain to gone! ;D  That's definitely a record for 10 gallons for me.  It was great to see so many people enjoying homebrew, and Seamus was as pleased as ever with the beer.  I'm a little sad it's all gone, in past years there was always a few gallons left over for me to put on tap at my house.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline jhwk

• Cellarman
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2011, 12:19:02 pm »
Why not go Belgian?

Do a traditional enkel, big pitch of yeast, ferment at 147 dgrees and crash carb.  Should be drinking by dinner time...

what ever happened to R, DW, HAHB
Life Member - Yeah, and I am still waiting on that $600 t-shirt...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2011, 01:22:35 pm »
Which thermophile are you going to use to ferment at 147? ;)

There's RDWHAHB, and then there's ITMNIWBFHPAIICURFAIHNBY (I told my neighbor I would brew for his party and it is coming up really fast and I have not brewed yet)
Tom Schmidlin