Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the best cleaner?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
What's the best cleaner?
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:23:57 pm »
I was given 4 glass carboys. One has some algae growth in it, the others just need a darn good cleaning. What is the best to really get these sparkling clean. Normally, I'd wash them out with TSP and bleach the heck out of them but is there a better option?

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: What's the best cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:25:56 pm »
PBW (powdered brewery wash) by five star chemicals. the stuff rocks, easy to use, very effective.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/PBWTech2.pdf
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »
I use Oxiclean most of the time and PBW for the critical cleaning (like fermenters).  Even the stuff I clean with Oxiclean gets PBW every 3-5 cleanings.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:53:40 pm »
I, too, use a lot of Oxy Clean.  For stubborn gunk, though, I just use Cascade detergent, or whatever unscented brand I can get on sale.

I think I gave PBW a whirl some time ago and didn't find it to be much more effective than Cascade.

Anyway, I have a tub somewhere of some brewery wash I bought years ago.  I rarely, if ever, have used it in the last 5 or more years.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:26 pm »
+1 to PBW.

Aside from the expense, it is my "go to" cleaner. Oxiclean will do the same level of cleaning but it lacks the "wetting agent" that PBW utilizes.
Ron Price

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46:12 pm »
I've found that a nice variety of brushes; carboy, bottle, 1/2" and 1/4" long and short stem for corny tubes, makes my cleaning chores much easier.  PBW and StarSan are my cleaner and sanitizer of choice.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:29:39 pm »
+1 to PBW. Remember to wear your goggles. Alkali cleaners can really mess up your eyes. I went to the ER for getting a non-brewing related solvent in my eye, and he told me the worst accidents he sees relate to alkali products. Drain-o is strongly basic, and will "turn your cornea into oatmeal," apparently.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:38:56 am »
+1 to PBW. Remember to wear your goggles. Alkali cleaners can really mess up your eyes. I went to the ER for getting a non-brewing related solvent in my eye, and he told me the worst accidents he sees relate to alkali products. Drain-o is strongly basic, and will "turn your cornea into oatmeal," apparently.

PBW isn't an alkali, is it?   :o

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:13 am »

According to the description on Northern Brewer it is.  "PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) is a patented alkali cleaner originally developed for Coors, ..."

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:25:10 am »

Yes it's considered a "buffered alkaline detergent". So it uses active oxygen to penetrate carbon and protein soils.

One of the best cleaners on the market IMO.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:25:42 am »
Thanks....here's the info from 5 Star if anyone is interested....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:28:30 am »
Thanks....here's the info from 5 Star if anyone is interested....

Great info Denny.

I got this info from a Brewstrong show sometime ago when they had a rep from fivestar chemical on the show.
Ron Price

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:31:08 am »
Edit: Bluesman beat me to it. Here's the MSDS also:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/PBWMSDS2.pdf

The MSDS for PBW recommends rubber gloves and goggles or safety glasses, so it's probably a good idea. MSDS for Star-san requires safety goggles.

I use goggles whenever I handle PBW or Star-san. Probably overkill, and at the recommend dilutions it's probably not THAT big of a deal, but no one ever plans on getting chemicals in their eyes. The last time I went to the ER it cost me about $180 out-of-pocket, which is way more expensive than just wearing my $10 chemical goggles. I also couldn't see for a couple days out of one eye. That's pretty terrifying.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:33:43 am by nateo »

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:16:58 pm »
I'm reading on my phone so I can't open the MSDS sheets. What's the active ingredient?  I wonder if there is a suitable alternative in the dairy industry.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »
Sodium Metasilicate is the active ingredient.

5 star makes a lot of chemicals for the dairy industry too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same compound. With a few simple precautions PBW is as safe as anything else. Definitely safer to use than an automobile.