Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny's Favorite 50  (Read 23221 times)

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
Re: Denny's Favorite 50
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 02:27:56 pm »

Don't Crush That Dwarf Hand Me The Pliers
May not be a good beer name, but it is a good album name.
:D

Temporarily Humboldt County, maybe
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 02:34:12 pm »
I used WY1450 in my last american black ale.  It's a regular beer I brew called "None More Black".  Denny, I'm sure you get that reference!  I really liked this yeast in that beer, nice and full bodied.  Previously, I used US-05 as my standard yeast, but this yeast makes a nice beer with good mouth feel.
Jesse

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
Since we've got you on the line here Denny, I'd be curious to know what levels of esters you typically get from the 1450.  I've done 3 or 4 side by side fermentations split between 1450 and 1056.  I'm always pleased with the mouthfeel but I've also found it it be a bit fruitier than 1056 and to slightly mask hop aromatics in comparison.  I'm pitching an appropriate "calculated" quanitity of yeast and usually ferment 1056 at 65 and 1450 at 62, though increasing both to 68 toward the end of fermentation.  

It's not even close to English fruity but I've had a few APA's/IPA's where I like the aroma from the 1056 a bit better.  In your experience, is 1450 cleaner than this?  What temperature do you typically ferment with 1450?

I should add that I'd be really interested to hear details about how this yeast worked for others as well!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:35:39 pm by jlap »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »
Since we've got you on the line here Denny, I'd be curious to know what levels of esters you typically get from the 1450.  I've done 3 or 4 side by side fermentations split between 1450 and 1056.  I'm always pleased with the mouthfeel but I've also found it it be a bit fruitier than 1056 and to slightly mask hop aromatics in comparison.  I'm pitching an appropriate "calculated" quanitity of yeast and usually ferment 1056 at 65 and 1450 at 62, though increasing both to 68 toward the end of fermentation.  

It's not even close to English fruity but I've had a few APA's/IPA's where I like the aroma from the 1056 a bit better.  In your experience, is 1450 cleaner than this?  What temperature do you typically ferment with 1450?

I should add that I'd be really interested to hear details about how this yeast worked for others as well!

I typically run it about 62 increasing to 68, as you do.  I do think it's become a bit fruitier through the years, but as you say it's still pretty subdued.  But I don't find it to mask the hop aromas.  I dunno, maybe I'm so used to it that I'm missing something.  I think maybe I'll do a split batch with 1450 and 1056 and compare.  It'll be a couple months before I have time to do that, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 03:47:47 pm »
jlap - my experience was very similar to yours.  I also had several batches where, at least in first generation, the fermentations were slow and drawn out (yes I made appropriate sized starters - this ain't my first rodeo  ;D) - but they eventually finished.  I did not like the aromas I was getting and agree it seemed to drown out or mute the hop aromas in the APA, Amber, IPA and RIPA I made with it.  Then again, I also pick up some mild fruitiness from WL051 that I don't like either.

However, I found that it is absolutely fantastic in porters and stouts (haven't tried brown ale with it) - perhaps because the low fruitiness is more welcome in these styles since they are less late hop driven than the latter mentioned styles and thus the slight reminiscence to British versions is welcome?

I dunno - I won't be using 1450 in Pales/IPAs anymore, but will continue in darker ales - yum!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jlap

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 04:03:34 pm »

I typically run it about 62 increasing to 68, as you do.  I do think it's become a bit fruitier through the years, but as you say it's still pretty subdued.  But I don't find it to mask the hop aromas.  I dunno, maybe I'm so used to it that I'm missing something.  I think maybe I'll do a split batch with 1450 and 1056 and compare.  It'll be a couple months before I have time to do that, though.

It is an interesting comparison.  I haven't done it in a while but I have a batch of my pretty hoppy red ale fermenting right with that split right now so I'll post about it in a couple weeks.  Just chucked the dry hops in yesterday. 

For me, 1056 really produces that almost too crisp and bitter SN character which 1450 tones down nicely without a bunch of carapils or something similar.  On another level, I'm often using a recipe that is either designed for 1056 or meant to be an OK middle ground - neither IDEAL for 1450.  It's pretty easy to fix decreased hop aroma!

beveragebob

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 04:04:32 pm »
I'd add that Sierra Nevada is all about the hops and they use 1056/US-05 as their primary Ale strain and that it does in fact push the hop forward where other yeasts such as DF-50 is a good balance of malt and hops.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Denny's Favorite
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 08:48:26 am »
Good Story Denny....Thank you for sharing that.  I have a Denny's Fav 50 smack pack in the fridge
and the ingredients enroute to my location to put together an attempt at BVIP...and
I thought I would make it authentic using your recipe AND your namesake Yeast.

Even got an Oak Spiral to infuse oak flavors....  I am thinking about the Bourbon aspect and my goto is
the Purple Sack Crown...because it is blended, well rounded, mellow and smooth....

...and Canadian.
Delicious I agree, had some last night. But Crown aint Bourbon.  May I suggest Four Roses single barrel or small batch.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:06 am »
Or, if you're a big Crown fan you might try the Black sack.  It closer to a Bourbon profile, yet still a blended Canadian eh.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 09:14:32 am »
Let me just repeat that the bourbon isn't a big deal as long as it's not rotgut.  IMO, if you can tell what bourbon is in it, you've used too much.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:18 am »
Denny, I get you loud n clear...a cup or so in 5 gal.  I even considered
cognac that is even More mellow....but if I decide to use bourbon...the
over 50% corn likker, prolly look for 4roses.  I know crown is not
bourbon  and after reading up on that rye ain't bad either.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 09:30:42 am »
  IMO, if you can tell what bourbon is in it, you've used too much.

Indeed, I guess my point is that to me Canadians tend to taste carmely and sweet whereas bourbon tends to taste of oak, spice, wood, earth, leather and tobacco. I would think that the two varieties would impart different characteristics to your beer accordingly. As usual I suppose you should go with what you like.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 10:16:38 am »
...  I think maybe I'll do a split batch with 1450 and 1056 and compare.  It'll be a couple months before I have time to do that, though.
I'm doing that right now with a Three Floyds Gumballhead type ale.  Actually, it is S-05, not 1056, but close enough in my book.  Both should be ready to keg early next week and I plan to have them ready to drink by May 14th.  I'll report my conclusions. ;)
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 05:54:44 pm »
I finally tried this out in Waldo Lake Amber (drinking first pints from the keg tonight), and RyeIPA. I'm getting a hint of dirty underwear. Anyone else geting the same taste/aroma? ;)
Travis R.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »
I finally tried this out in Waldo Lake Amber (drinking first pints from the keg tonight), and RyeIPA. I'm getting a hint of dirty underwear. Anyone else geting the same taste/aroma? ;)

LMAO

Denny's gonna get you for that one
Joe