Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: collateral for home brew filled growlers  (Read 7042 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
collateral for home brew filled growlers
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:08 am »
Now I understand why craft brewers ask for deposits when loaning out kegged beer.  Equipment such as these growlers below is one of the many ways us home brewers distribute our beer to friends and family.  When I loan out a drill motor I expect to get it back, the same goes for these growlers.  I don't know how many growler filled beers I've passes out to friends and family, only to have them tell me they threw the growler away.

My large inventory of growlers is suffering from filling them for family and friends.  I don't know how to handle this.  Maybe a deposit is needed? Maybe I shouldn't lend them out.  Any advice?

If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: collateral for home brew filled growlers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:13:48 am »
Funny timing. I was just grabbing a CD to loan a friend at work.  Whenever I loan a book or CD I either write on or place a sticky note label that reads, "I live at Pinski's house" as a friendly reminder of the loan and expected return. Keep sharing.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:38:29 am »
When I share my beverages with friends I remind them that I make beer, mead, etc, but I do not make bottles.  If they want to receive more beer, mead, etc. they need to bring the bottles back.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:44:55 am »
I think it's just an educational thing - before you give someone a growler tell them how much it costs and that it needs to be returned after they're done. For people who only ever drink bottled beer from the shop I think it's a normal reaction - if you've never had to pay for your own bottles you don't know not to throw them out.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:09:45 am »
Same as punatic, I tell them that if they ever want more they're going to have to return it.  I've also been known to tape reminders to stuff.  It's good to share, don't let it stop you.  Just explain the etiquette.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:40:48 am »
I make it clear that I make beer not bottles, and that I hate delabeling and cleaning.  I want them back clean, not with some bad science experiment going on at the bottom.

If these rules are not followed, I make a mental note - "No beer for you!".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:19:02 am »
No return, no refill. Return 'em rinsed because your next beer may be filled on top of that "bad science experiment".  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:38:51 am »
I make it clear that I make beer not bottles, and that I hate delabeling and cleaning.  I want them back clean, not with some bad science experiment going on at the bottom.

If these rules are not followed, I make a mental note - "No beer for you!".

+1 When I pass out beer, instead of asking for the bottle back, I explain the proper bottle cleanig procedure. I tell them, "that way next time I fill it for you, if will make cleaning the bottle a lot easier for me." I have never had so much as a bottle un-returned.
  In fact, one of my good friends in Ohio drank a lot of craft beer with crown caps. He rinsed them all for me, and gave them to me. To the point I had to ask him to stop, as I was overwhemled with bottles. When I moved to Idaho, I tossed over 200.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:50:58 pm »
I don't loan out my growlers. But, when I give beer to my friends it's in 12oz brown bottles and tell them don't bother to return them. Just recycle instead.

It's too easy to set oneself up for disappointment.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »
  In fact, one of my good friends in Ohio drank a lot of craft beer with crown caps. He rinsed them all for me, and gave them to me. To the point I had to ask him to stop, as I was overwhemled with bottles. When I moved to Idaho, I tossed over 200.

Here in Hawaii those puppies are worth 5₵ apiece  (dirty or clean).
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:36 pm »
No return, no refill. Return 'em rinsed because your next beer may be filled on top of that "bad science experiment".  ;D
That's my philosophy!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:36:37 pm »
I don't loan out my growlers. But, when I give beer to my friends it's in 12oz brown bottles and tell them don't bother to return them. Just recycle instead.

It's too easy to set oneself up for disappointment.

Here in Michigan, those 12 oz. bottles are $0.10 a pop.  It adds up.  
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 07:53:40 pm »
I have no idea why they aren't refundable here in Texas. Bottles should be.

Which brings to mind memories of 6th street. Hit the alleys Sunday morning and one sees dumpsters filled to the top with beer bottles. Not a trash-bottle mix. All beer bottles right to the top. What a waste.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 07:59:08 pm »
I have no idea why they aren't refundable here in Texas. Bottles should be.

Which brings to mind memories of 6th street. Hit the alleys Sunday morning and one sees dumpsters filled to the top with beer bottles. Not a trash-bottle mix. All beer bottles right to the top. What a waste.

Austin, right?  That is what one would expect from walking down that street early on a Saturday.   

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »

Austin, right?  That is what one would expect from walking down that street early on a Saturday.   

Yep. And outside the fraternities in West Campus after kegs were banned? Same thing. Dumpsters full of beer cans or bottles. I didn't know what a growler was until I moved to San Antonio. :-\