Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infrared Thermometer Recommendations?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
Infrared Thermometer Recommendations?
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:20:46 pm »
Does anyone have any recommendations on an infrared thermometer?

Also, what are some of the pros & cons of one (reliability, accuracy, any trouble reading through glass/plastic/steam, etc)?

Thanks

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Infrared Thermometer Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:55:50 pm »
I have a Metris extra long range IR thermometer  I use when I go out on the active lava flows on Kilauea.  Much more thermometer than you would need for brewing.  You should be able to pick up a nice brewing model for around $50.

IR thermometers read surface temps only; they "see" the heat radiating from the target.  No good for internal temps.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Infrared Thermometer Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:50:08 am »
IR thermometers read surface temps only; they "see" the heat radiating from the target.  No good for internal temps.

Unless of course you're trying to measure the temperature in something that's a good conductor. You still won't get the exact temp but it'll be close. Also I've noticed inconsistencies in mine when trying to read something through steam. I think there's some refraction and reflection happening in there - kinda like how you need to dim your lights when it's really foggy out.

That being said, my IR thermometer is probably the coolest kitchen gadget I have, and it's useful for more things than you'd think, especially checking grill temperatures without singe-ing (singing?) more hair off your arms.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!