Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cirrhosis  (Read 9802 times)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
cirrhosis
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:41:48 am »
The dear Lord has given us a wonderful combination of ingredients, and critters to make a beverage we all enjoy, but just a small pitch out there to remember to drink in moderation.  i am losing my second patient in the past 6 months to alcoholic cirrhosis. In both cases they are ladies under age 50 with kids i also take care of.  it is gut wrenching, and miserable to watch. I consider all of you to be a friend one way or another, and I would hate to see any of you suffer like this.  (and no, i dont consider it a risk of the hobby like skydiving, drag racing etc).
Don AHA member

ccarlson

Re: cirrhosis
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:44:44 am »
I have my liver enzymes checked every year, if that's a good indicator and I think it is. They have gone up a little as I get older, but so do the charts. I guess it's a natural part of aging.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:04:39 am »
that is usually the  first clue to there being a problem.  this last patient was fine a year ago and boom went south.  she had been a previous alcoholic and had stopped for many years then when she started drinking again things progressed rapidly.
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:59:01 am »
I can only imagine how hard it is to be a doctor. Particularly if you actually care about your patients. and it sounds like you do. Hang in there and remember that we need people like you. I promise to be moderate in my drinking and never take tylenol in temporal proximity of alcahol (I honestly just don't take tylenol to be on the safe side anyway). My grandmother died from cirhosis after many years of destructive drinking habits. Although I suspect had she had a doctor like you she might have held on a bit longer as the doctor she had gave her high doses of tylenol for paid when she was in the hospital before they identified the liver damage.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:45:50 am »
man, that is NOT good.  threads like these make me reconsider beer altogether.   :-\
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:04:49 pm »
thanks for the kind words. someone told me once i shouldn't care about my patient's more than they care about themselves. that is easier said than done.  the hard part is i am a simple family practice guy and i see the kids of these people too. often times they have been classmates of my kids. ugh. watched the intervention heroin highway the otherday and a girl was on it that my son dated briefly.  hard to fathom. 

don't give up on beer.  i learned in the navy that if you don't control how much you drink, someone else will. 
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:06:18 pm »
Lately I've taken to using smaller glasses and cut my consumption in half or less. Being in the industry all sorts of scary thoughts run through my head when I consider my liver and the barrage of beer it has to deal with. The brush with gout led me to abandon the fully stocked house bar concept. :o

My understanding is that cirrhosis isn't inevitable and only occurs in a percentage of those that drink heavily. Women also appear to be more susceptible to the disease. We get quite a few patients with ascites. Ever see that emaciated guy with a gigantic swollen abdomen? That person probably has cirrhosis and end-stage liver disease. Could be hepatitis or other ailments but most likely caused by ETOH. Usually we get them before and after a paracentesis. Hopefully none of us have to experience this procedure... :( I've seen as much as 8 liters drained out of a patient.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »
man, that is NOT good.  threads like these make me reconsider beer altogether.   :-\

I wouldn't go that far man...just be moderate about it.  There's no reason to get all paranoid and be one of those anti-alcohol kooks.  Man, I don't get those people.  It's like one drink equals alcoholic to them; fakkin' insane.
Jesse

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:02 pm »

Moderation in all things

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 12:55:28 pm »

I wouldn't go that far man...just be moderate about it.  There's no reason to get all paranoid and be one of those anti-alcohol kooks.  Man, I don't get those people.  It's like one drink equals alcoholic to them; fakkin' insane.

nah - don't worry - I won't go all Puritanical.  Beer has been very, very good to me and that's not even taking into account actually drinking a drop.

What I said was more rhetorically introspective, in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way.  Weithman's point resonated well with me - just a friendly reminder to keep it in moderation.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:12 pm »

We're fakkin insane here in America. Certain tests I've taken had questions like "do you drink and how much". Only found out later that if one answers more than 1-2 drinks a week they are considered to be alcoholic. Those tests wouldn't past muster in Europe for sure. It's our puritanical heritage and a holdover from the teetotaler movement. Bastards.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 01:07:48 pm »

We're fakkin insane here in America. Certain tests I've taken had questions like "do you drink and how much". Only found out later that if one answers more than 1-2 drinks a week they are considered to be alcoholic. Those tests wouldn't past muster in Europe for sure. It's our puritanical heritage and a holdover from the teetotaler movement. Bastards.
Oh my gad...that's insane.  Who comes up with this stuff?  Fak do they know?
Jesse

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:04:51 pm »
My grandfather died of liver cancer, and he never drank a drop of alcohol in his entire life. Granted, cancer is different than cirrhosis, but it does illustrate the point that sometimes life doesn't make sense. My mom is a doctor too, so I have mucho respect for the small family practice guys.  Moderation in all things is wise.  I limit myself to 2 beers a night, no more, no less.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:36:55 am »
I actually worry less about the one or two self-made homebrews I might have in an evening than I do when judging some of the entries in the beer competitions. 

I do wonder at times whether the fusels in uncontrolled (i.e., too high) temp fermenation beers and specialty, smoked, and wood-aged beers might be dangerous to my health.  Really--doesn't anyone else who is a BJCP judge ever wonder if, one day, you might be sampling or drinking a stranger's beer that, knowingly or unknowingly, is chock full of potential carcinogens, which may or may not even be detectable by aroma, appearance, taste, mouthfeel, etc.?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:43 am »
makes me say hmmm ;D
Don AHA member