Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Edit: I did a decoction, damm!t...  (Read 17760 times)

ccarlson

Re: Edit: I did a decoction, damm!t...
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 07:42:59 am »
Mat, why not use water instead of wort to thin your decoction?  That way you won't denature the enzymes in the wort.

I don't see where that would help anything? Why does it need to be thinned anyway?

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 07:50:20 am »
Mat, why not use water instead of wort to thin your decoction?  That way you won't denature the enzymes in the wort.

Wow, you're up early this morning!  I guess I figure there will be plenty of enzymes left in the main mash to achieve full conversion.

I'm not talking about thinning the decoction significantly. I'm just trying to decrease the risk of scorching.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:52:10 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 08:06:08 am »
I'm not sure I'd use a kitchen strainer.  That's what I did and I had a very dry decoction.  Yes, it did thin as it was heated but then I essentially boiled off almost all of the liquid that was in the mash.  I stopped short so that I didn't burn.  Maybe use a combination of measuring cup and strainer to make sure that you get most of the grain but that there is sufficient moisture left to carry you over the decoction time. 

ccarlson

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 08:16:03 am »
If you thin it too much, you won't get any carmelization.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:42 am »
Mat, why not use water instead of wort to thin your decoction?  That way you won't denature the enzymes in the wort.

I don't see where that would help anything? Why does it need to be thinned anyway?

It needs to be thinned a bit so you can stir it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 09:45:07 am »

It needs to be thinned a bit so you can stir it.

Maybe it's they way I do it, but I never have a problem. I remove the mash with a slotted spoon, let it stand enough so I don't make a too much of a mess on the way to the stove and then dump it. Then go back for more.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 10:24:23 am »
I am sure you're getting enough liquid and since you're having good results you must be doing it right.
All I know is that if I'd have boiled 10 minutes more, I'd be stirring sawdust. 

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2011, 12:16:37 am »

Caramelization is subtly different than a maillard reaction. Maillard reactions work on amino acids, caramelization works on sugars. When I do a decoction, for the most part, I am attempting to concentrate sugars and coax the various malt compounds into a maillard reaction.

If you are truly caramelizing during your decoctions, it is probably too thick.

ccarlson

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2011, 05:33:00 am »

Caramelization is subtly different than a maillard reaction. Maillard reactions work on amino acids, caramelization works on sugars. When I do a decoction, for the most part, I am attempting to concentrate sugars and coax the various malt compounds into a maillard reaction.

If you are truly caramelizing during your decoctions, it is probably too thick.

Agreed, but I want both and I feel that I get that by not thinning. If you thin too much, you'll mainly get Maillard properties. The trick is to never stop stirring and watching that heat.

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2011, 06:56:55 am »
Brewed the helles yesterday and hit all my temps/targets.  Pretty successful brewday!  This stuff was clear as a bell going into the fermenter.  I can't wait to taste it on its way out.

I used a kitchen strainer to pull the decoction this time and I feel like I got a much better grain to water ratio (thicker this time).

I also kegged the decocted hefeweizen yesterday, which tastes fantastic.  It went from 1.055 to 1.013 (~5.5% alc).  I obviously can't determine at this point whether the decoction played a role in the flavor profile, but it's one of the best (if not the best) hefeweizens I've brewed.  Will post a pic when it's fully carbed.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2011, 02:47:18 pm »
Double decocted hefe...tasting fantastic!  It's actually just a little lighter in color than the photo suggests.  There's a really nice balance between clove/banana with a subtle lemon note too.  It's got a little sweetness/body and the malt flavor is superb.

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
Damn, that looks really nice.

You're inspiring me to get a weizen of my own going.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »
Beautiful.  I hope the weizen I made yesterday looks that nice.
Tom Schmidlin

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2011, 07:34:11 pm »
narcout, you should!  Is there a better spring beer??

Tom, what was your recipe/mash schedule?  I kept this one pretty simple, which was a good decision.  I used to use cara malts in my weissbier -- no more.  Next time I brew a hefe (which is likely to be in a few weeks), I'm going to only use German wheat and pils.  I'll probably do the same mash schedule, since it turned out so well.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2011, 08:29:12 pm »
Double decocted hefe...tasting fantastic!  It's actually just a little lighter in color than the photo suggests.  There's a really nice balance between clove/banana with a subtle lemon note too.  It's got a little sweetness/body and the malt flavor is superb.

Fabulous looking beer Matt. I judged hefe's at a local comp today and your's has them all beat colorwise.  8)
Ron Price