Author Topic: Alabama Homebrew Legalization 2011 = Failed  (Read 8261 times)

Offline tommeier

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Re: Alabama Homebrew Legalization 2011 = Failed
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »

Schmidling; you read correctly.

I think manufacture implies intent to sell.. If they ever try to convict anyone in a wet county of homebrewing (no distilled beverages) we will all pull together to defend.

Even more telling than letting full service HB shops operate is this;  Alabama used to have an annual HB Competition..  And ABC said they didn't mind as long no money was exchanged..   Things have changed since we have been pushing for formal legalization..   The Southern Baptists are pushing to prevent any changes to specifically legalize homebrewing.   They will also request ABC to investigate anyone who puts their name in the paper..  We made front page of LA Times but ABC paid a club member a visit after that and made him sign a paper stating he was aware it is illegal..
Even that is telling.

And our local DA has said he would never convict anyone who is not selling..    Really everyone wants this law except the law makers with unbased fears, and the religious opposition.

I had two Tornadoes near the house yesterday.   Many people are without homes in my HB clubs area (Harvest Monrovia areas of Huntsville), hopefully none of them..  Much of North AL without power.  600,000 TVA customers without power.  Alot of "illegal" homebrew getting warm today, but there are more important things like getting people fed and access to medication, etc..   Night time Curfew in effect.   Power will take 5 to 7 days to restore.
Posted from Alabama: Where homebrewing is considered illegal only because there is no law specifically making it legal (Lovett v. State, 1943).  A backwards state, literally and figuratively.

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »

I had two Tornadoes near the house yesterday.   Many people are without homes in my HB clubs area (Harvest Monrovia areas of Huntsville), hopefully none of them..  Much of North AL without power.  600,000 TVA customers without power.  Alot of "illegal" homebrew getting warm today, but there are more important things like getting people fed and access to medication, etc..   Night time Curfew in effect.   Power will take 5 to 7 days to restore.

I was happy I to have homebrew equipment when we had power outages from hurricanes here a few years ago.  I could still cook breakfast on my propane burners.  Perhaps you could convince the legislators it's for emergency purposes.  (Plus my collection of freezer ice packs kept the food from spoiling.)
Here's hoping you get back to normal real soon.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:48:34 PM by dbeechum »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »
Remember, all of that homebrew is safe to drink if the water supply is in question, and you can boil water with those propane burners too!

Glad to hear you're ok Tom.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
My thoughts go to all those impacted by these storms.  This should serve as a good reminder to us all that it's a really good idea to put together a 72 hour kit at home and a "get home kit" in the car in case disaster strikes while we are away. Be safe.
Thank you BEER!

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2011, 06:09:19 AM »
Even more telling than letting full service HB shops operate is this;  Alabama used to have an annual HB Competition..  And ABC said they didn't mind as long no money was exchanged..   Things have changed since we have been pushing for formal legalization..   The Southern Baptists are pushing to prevent any changes to specifically legalize homebrewing.   They will also request ABC to investigate anyone who puts their name in the paper..  We made front page of LA Times but ABC paid a club member a visit after that and made him sign a paper stating he was aware it is illegal..
Even that is telling.

And our local DA has said he would never convict anyone who is not selling..    Really everyone wants this law except the law makers with unbased fears, and the religious opposition.

"Even if this was not a law, which it is, I'm afraid I would have a lot of difficulty endorsing an enterprise which is as fraught with genuine peril as I believe this one to be."

Not exactly what he was talking about - but the quote seems to fit those in the 'bible belt' who are against this for what they consider to be 'moral' reasons. 

(Glad you're OK after the tornado!  Wow.)
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »
maybe we should change our hobby from home brewing to "home boiling of a barley tea"  sorry if some yeast inadvertantly spilled in that barley tea..... ;D
Don AHA member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »
This is how much you know about Alabama politics. Its usually not ever allowed to come up for a vote. That's the problem. And as a brewer - and business owner - we have a slew of other legislative issues that need to be addressed. But the powers that be are taking money from the beer distributors and big beer to keep our legislation from ever coming to a vote.

And to suggest that I "move to another state" is absurd. I have invested my life savings in this state. Its simply not that easy.

That said, I agree that if a county would vote to be dry they should have that right. But when it is kept from coming to a vote by selected interest - that's wrong. Plain wrong. And it is a far cry from freedom.

Well, I know that this thread was all about it coming to a vote and not passing. I admit that I didn't know that before I read the thread, but now I do. Maybe you should start at the beginning of the thread, as I did. Again, my second suggestion, which probably applies more to you, is to vote in new legislators. It's not a perfect system, but it's all we/you got.

Yes. I know it came to a vote. I was under serious weather threat and had my emotional wires crossed. But legislation I would like to come to a vote is constantly derailed by money and politics and lobbyists. My entire point is that you are gravely mistaken if you think Alabama politics are "refreshing" - it is one of the most corrupt, lobbyist driven, political systems in the country. Anything but refreshing.

And, yes. I work very, very hard to change it. Many of us do. That's one of the reasons you see the bastards digging in so deep.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline whitebeard_brewer

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »
Keep fighting the fight over there my next door neighbors.....maybe one day, we will BOTH get these archaic laws changed!!! 

ccarlson

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
My entire point is that you are gravely mistaken if you think Alabama politics are "refreshing"  

Please show me where I ever said that "Alabama" politics is refreshing. I simply said that I agree with states's rights and I stand by that. Everything is not perfect, but we need to remember, as home brewers, that it can't always be our way, as much as we'd like to think it should be. There are other people's opinions that matter, equally, as much as ours. This applies to ALL issues. In the end, local voice is much more important than federal voice, IMO.

As your state cleans up from the unfortunate turmoil that you experienced, you'll see that local help means a lot more than the feds can offer.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:22:40 PM by ccarlson »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »
I simply said that I agree with states's rights and I stand by that. Everything is not perfect, but we need to remember, as home brewers, that it can't always be our way, as much as we'd like to think it should be. There are other people's opinions that matter, equally, as much as ours. This applies to ALL issues. In the end, local voice is much more important than federal voice, IMO.
State's rights?  This is the same argument used to support several horrendous policies in the past.  State's rights are all well and good when they are granting rights to citizens, but to take rights away for no reason other than your beliefs is wrong, majority or not.  Whether your neighbor homebrews or not has no effect on you or society in general, it is not a safety issue, no one is harmed, and it is not really anyone else's business.

I'm sure you disagree with the vote, but it shouldn't even be up for a vote.  Brewing at home for home use is a matter of personal privacy.  These legislators are surely all for freedom and liberty - to do what they think is right.  Where do they stand on other matters of personal freedom?  I'm guessing they don't mind where you might carry your gun, but are very concerned with who you might marry and where you might put your penis.

Brewing at home is perfectly legal in Alabama every step of the way up until you pitch the yeast.  Why should anyone get to say whether you are allowed to add yeast or not?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2011, 12:18:17 AM »
As your state cleans up from the unfortunate turmoil that you experienced, you'll see that local help means a lot more than the feds can offer.

:o
 ::)

It's nice to have neighbors helping neighbors, but if you think a state could recover from disaster without Federal aid, I want some of what you're smoking.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2011, 04:03:38 AM »
I simply said that I agree with states's rights and I stand by that. Everything is not perfect, but we need to remember, as home brewers, that it can't always be our way, as much as we'd like to think it should be. There are other people's opinions that matter, equally, as much as ours. This applies to ALL issues. In the end, local voice is much more important than federal voice, IMO.
State's rights?  This is the same argument used to support several horrendous policies in the past.  State's rights are all well and good when they are granting rights to citizens, but to take rights away for no reason other than your beliefs is wrong, majority or not.  Whether your neighbor homebrews or not has no effect on you or society in general, it is not a safety issue, no one is harmed, and it is not really anyone else's business.

I'm sure you disagree with the vote, but it shouldn't even be up for a vote.  Brewing at home for home use is a matter of personal privacy.  These legislators are surely all for freedom and liberty - to do what they think is right.  Where do they stand on other matters of personal freedom?  I'm guessing they don't mind where you might carry your gun, but are very concerned with who you might marry and where you might put your penis.

Brewing at home is perfectly legal in Alabama every step of the way up until you pitch the yeast.  Why should anyone get to say whether you are allowed to add yeast or not?

yes, Tom, it's all about freedom. but seen from another perspective, those legislators are valiant freedom fighters. they're leading the battle to free us from the yeastie overlords.

go ahead and brew every step of the way up until you're ready to pitch the yeast. try to stop there..... you can't, can you?? those evil overlords have got you so under control that you can't stop yourself. you'll HAVE to pitch them into the waiting wort.

those freedom fighters in Alabama are trying to rebel, trying to help us help ourselves. they know it's a fruitless, doomed endeavor, that the yeast will win in the end, but they keep trying. they are leading the fight for your freedom. honor them for it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2011, 07:14:15 AM »
State's rights?  This is the same argument used to support several horrendous policies in the past.  State's rights are all well and good when they are granting rights to citizens, but to take rights away for no reason other than your beliefs is wrong, majority or not.  Whether your neighbor homebrews or not has no effect on you or society in general, it is not a safety issue, no one is harmed, and it is not really anyone else's business.

I'm sure you disagree with the vote, but it shouldn't even be up for a vote.  Brewing at home for home use is a matter of personal privacy.  These legislators are surely all for freedom and liberty - to do what they think is right.  Where do they stand on other matters of personal freedom?  I'm guessing they don't mind where you might carry your gun, but are very concerned with who you might marry and where you might put your penis.

Brewing at home is perfectly legal in Alabama every step of the way up until you pitch the yeast.  Why should anyone get to say whether you are allowed to add yeast or not?

yes, Tom, it's all about freedom. but seen from another perspective, those legislators are valiant freedom fighters. they're leading the battle to free us from the yeastie overlords.

go ahead and brew every step of the way up until you're ready to pitch the yeast. try to stop there..... you can't, can you?? those evil overlords have got you so under control that you can't stop yourself. you'll HAVE to pitch them into the waiting wort.

those freedom fighters in Alabama are trying to rebel, trying to help us help ourselves. they know it's a fruitless, doomed endeavor, that the yeast will win in the end, but they keep trying. they are leading the fight for your freedom. honor them for it.

:D

Sometimes if you don't laugh...you'll just go crazy.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2011, 07:32:01 AM »

Big +1 Tom. I'm always amazed at how people screaming for liberty and freedom from "tyranny" will simultaneously vote to inhibit personal freedoms they don't like.

ccarlson

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
I'm not sure how we got from home brewing laws to penis placement, but I'm not going there.  ;D

If you don't like the laws ( neither do I) do something about it. Vote in new legislators or better yet, run yourself and change things. What I find truly amazing is that people from sates, such a Alabama, get on here and basically admit to felonies. I'm not suggesting for a minute that you quit brewing, but I'd be a little more discrete in who and where I admitted this. I'd hate to see a fellow brewer get busted. Cheers and good luck getting the law changed. I'm behind you 110%.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:59:11 AM by ccarlson »