Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kirkland Case  (Read 1875 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Kirkland Case
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:40:31 am »
Decided to give the Kirkland Case at Costco a whirl. Pale Ale, India Pale Ale, Amber Ale and a Belgian Witbier. I can stomach the Pale and the Witbier, although neither is much more exciting than watching paint dry. The IPA is a pretty good Pale Ale. The Amber was drain cleaner last night. I'll try them all again at least 5 more times, but my vote would be to pass on this one... ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Kirkland Case
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:55:13 am »
That's not what came in the case I tried a year or so ago, they must have changed it up.  I shop at costco pretty regularly (was there yesterday) and have never gotten another case.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:19:20 pm »
I think the GB case (had a hefe and some other stuff) was supposedly pretty good, this one was lackluster. I'll start with the Amber tonight, maybe my buds were off due to a long day, but I'm suspecting it will go something like this...open, pour beer, discard cap and recycle bottle, put away opener, sit on couch, taste beer, taste again, rise from couch and proceed to sink, dump contents of glass down drain, rinse glass, find anything more flavorful in fridge  ;D

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »
they have changed what was in the case.  last year had ipa, pale, a light lager and a hefeweizen.  they were all drinkable and reasonably cost. got the bottles.  i normally am a lager guy but the ipa was a little better.  the best was the hefe, and i normally don't like these all that much. i actually saved a few bottles to get the yeast, still in fridge :'(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:14:16 pm by weithman5 »
Don AHA member

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
[snip] I'm suspecting it will go something like this...open, pour beer, discard cap and recycle bottle, put away opener, sit on couch, taste beer, taste again, rise from couch and proceed to sink, dump contents of glass down drain, rinse glass, find anything more flavorful in fridge  ;D
That's pretty much what I did when I tried a case yonks ago. I think they were trying to appeal to the folks who bought Bud by the case. Apparently, they still are.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:48:45 pm »
Ok, so I started in a different order tonight. I can actually choke down the Amber, but I may not. The Witbier is passable and the IPA actually has enough bittering to be one. Still not something I'll purchase again...

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:21:56 pm »
they don't have a Costco here in Gainesville, so I've never seen any of these beers. did a little googling and it seems that they are contract brewed for Costco by Gordon Biersch on the west coast & by FX Matt on the east coast. I wouldn't expect either of them to turn out great beers, but I'd expect them to be at least drinkable. kind of surprising.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 05:35:47 am »
I can see them being made by Matt. I don't like Saranac much so it stands to reason I wouldn't care for the Kirkland. OTOH, if I hit the left coast I might have to give them a whirl. GB tends to make a solid brew, never exciting, but always solid.