Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Southern Tier  (Read 2400 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Southern Tier
« on: April 18, 2011, 06:41:06 am »
I have had two beers from this brewery from Lakewood, NY, and I must say, both are great.  I had their Amber Ale a while back and it is killer.  I picked up their IPA this weekend.  Very balanced malt/hoppiness.  Definately worth checking out. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Southern Tier
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:01:01 am »
my son & my daughter both live in NYC. I had a number of beers from Southern Tier when I last went up to visit them. Since then, Southern Tier is now available here in N FL. They are generally all very good, quite an innovative brewery. Not afraid to try something different. For example, their Creme Brulee.... a very sweet dessert beer, EXCELLENT - though not one I'd like to drink a lot of at one sitting. Great to split a 22 Oz bottle among several people after dinner.

The other brewery I liked up in NY from that same trip was Captain Lawrence. Also pretty innovative. Just had a few beers from them, but I recall a cask IPA that was spectacular.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »
My very local beer bar (18 taps and a micro attitude) is very much infatuated with Southern Tier Brewing: (2-3) taps all the time.  I have tried the IPA, the 2X IPA, and the Unearthly Imperial IPA.  In all cases I found the beer to be waaaaaay out of balance hop bombs--especially the Unearthly.  Their philosophy seem to be go over the top....and keep going.  Not impressed.
Member #: 900000767

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »
My very local beer bar (18 taps and a micro attitude) is very much infatuated with Southern Tier Brewing: (2-3) taps all the time.  I have tried the IPA, the 2X IPA, and the Unearthly Imperial IPA.  In all cases I found the beer to be waaaaaay out of balance hop bombs--especially the Unearthly.  Their philosophy seem to be go over the top....and keep going.  Not impressed.

Give ST another chance; they're one of the better brewers in Upstate NY. The reason their IPA, 2xIPA and Unearthly are out of balance is because they're designed to be aggressive West Coast style hop bombs. Try their smaller beers or some of their other limited release and seasonals. Phin & Matt's is a much more balanced, drinkable APA and the Hop Sun is a nicely done, interesting American wheat/SHV (though sadly, they recently increased the ABV, so it's not as sessionable as it once was). If you want more memorable, big, malty beers, look for Farmer's Tan in the summer and Krampus Imperial Helles in the late Fall. They've got a big portfolio, so you're likely to find something you like: http://www.southerntierbrewing.com/beers.html

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:32:42 pm »

Give ST another chance; they're one of the better brewers in Upstate NY. The reason their IPA, 2xIPA and Unearthly are out of balance is because they're designed to be aggressive West Coast style hop bombs. Try their smaller beers or some of their other limited release and seasonals. Phin & Matt's is a much more balanced, drinkable APA and the Hop Sun is a nicely done, interesting American wheat/SHV (though sadly, they recently increased the ABV, so it's not as sessionable as it once was). If you want more memorable, big, malty beers, look for Farmer's Tan in the summer and Krampus Imperial Helles in the late Fall. They've got a big portfolio, so you're likely to find something you like: http://www.southerntierbrewing.com/beers.html

Will do Thomas.  I think I was just cranky that he was using 3 taps out of 18 for ST beers.  Perhaps I no longer appreciate West Coast hop bombs as much as I used to.

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:05:50 pm »
I am not a fan of Southern Tier beers generally although I actually like the Unearthly.  I find there beers to be thick and syrupy to the point that I find them undrinkable.  I also find their beers to be very unbalanced with an over emphasis on the flavors they are trying to infuse, like chocolate or coffee, and the malt takes a back seat.  I've tried everything I've seen available in VT and aside from the Unearthly I am not very impressed. 

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:06:19 pm »
Went back and tried the IPA again, and Hop Sun for the first time. Meh.  Standing by my  original impression.  Sorry, but I tried.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:18:13 pm »
Went back and tried the IPA again, and Hop Sun for the first time. Meh.  Standing by my  original impression.  Sorry, but I tried.

Different strokes.