Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you brew?  (Read 15865 times)

Offline woody

• Cellarman
Re: How do you brew?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 03:22:40 pm »
I brew in the garage.  I'd love to brew in the basement, but I need to find a heavy duty electric setup that can boil 12+ gallons.   
Right now I heat strike/ sparge water in the 7.5 gallon pot that came with my turkey fryer.    My mash tun is a 70 qt Coleman Xterme (best cooler EVER!)     I boil in a 15 gallon megapot with a ball valve dump.   I just picked up a fitting so I can rig up a copper tubing dip tube in it (can't wait to try it tomorrow!)   
Basement brewing would rule, but I need something other than propane to boil with.    That would save lugging full carboys down the stairs.   That always makes me nervous... 
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline scottyb

• Cellarman
  • avatar changed at mods insistence
    • national ghost hunters
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 04:49:06 pm »
first runnings or was it second?

Boat,Brew,Ski, Repeat

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:48 am »
I crush with a Barley Crusher, mash in a cooler and batch sparge.  For now, my setup is pretty simple (see pic), and I do the whole brew day on the patio.  Over the winter, I'll be working on converting a used factory cart into a two-burner brew cart with a pump.  The idea is to eliminate as much lifting as I can. 

...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 09:38:29 am »
I brew 5 gal batches in the kitchen.
I just build electric HERMS with Ranco controlled HLT.
I use 10 Gal orange cooler and I boil on the NG stove.
My 10 Gal Mega pot is wide enough that I can lid up 3 burners and get about 30,000 BTU from it.
I ferment in fermentation fridge in the basement.

I like electric powered brewing.
You get a lot of control over the process.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 06:46:19 pm »
Filter tap water into a couple of water jugs, add campden for our chloramines
Crush grain with two-roller Monster Mill
Heat strike water in 4-gallon stainless pot on Bayou Classic SP-10
Mash in blue Coleman Xtreme "Denny'ized" tun
Batch sparge into 10-gallon Mega Pot
Boil and then cool with copper immersion chiller
Transfer to 6.5-gallon glass primary
Pitch "grown from slant", stir-plated yeast slurry
Ferment in "son of fermentation chiller"
Rack to secondary
Bottle in 1 case of 12-oz plus remainder in 500ml flip-tops

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:49:48 pm by hokerer »
Joe

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 07:24:30 pm »
Mash in 10 gal Igloo commercial round w/ Phil's false bottom, 2 burners, 1 for strike & sparge water, 1 for brewpot.  Gravity feed MT to boil kettle using a household Werner scafolding.  Hand feed the sparge water into the MT/Lauter tun.  Motorized Schmidling mill.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:16 pm »
A partial-boil setup with an outdoor propane burner.
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

narvin

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 11:47:12 pm »
Bayou Classic outside, batch sparging in a 40 qt cooler.  CFC for chilling, all gravity.

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 11:46:44 am »
5 Gallon All-Grain batches, carbon filtered well water, mash and fly sparge with 2 - 5 gallons coolers & gravity (60 min mash & 45-60 min sparge), 8 gallon SS brew pot (90 min boil), SS bayou burner, SS immersion chiller, autosiphon with fine nylon mesh bag as filter, primary and secondary in glass carboys, and bottle in 12 oz brown bottles.  You can see my brew stand in my profile pic.   

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:39 pm »
My normal batch size now is 24 gallons...

I do often make 45 gallons of several brews that I want around for a while

wow - how long on average do you keep a batch around?  I do 12gal batches and they're gone within 4 months (ales) and 6 months (lagers) and that seems to be just about right.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline onebarrel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 08:59:32 pm »
I am lucky enough to have 2 systems...

My normal batch size currently is 15 gals at about 1045 OG.

How I do this quickly (6 hrs including cleanup) is usually skipping the sparge and maxing out the mash
tun (13gals) with 31-33lbs of grain. I usually do a 50 min mash and a 70 min boil. I do a concentrated boil
and top all the way up with water at knockout.
When I chill and transfer to fermentors I usually add 3/4 gallon of water to each fermentor to put me back
to 15 gallons (losses to heat expansion and trub)

If I don't top up I get 11 gals at about 1070 OG (first runnings)

My big system nets me 45 gals at about 1060 OG and the biggest beer I can produce on that system is
20 gals first runnings about 1095 OG with 20 gals of small beer at 1045 OG using about 100lbs of grain.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 09:58:17 am »
I put my banjo burner on cinder blocks on my deck which holds my 15 gallon megapot.  I batch sparge out of a cooler that sits on the corner of my deck railings.  Usually 5 gal batches.

I also wrap a sheet of ductwork around the burner/pot to keep the wind out.  Works great.

Usually on Sunday no matter what weather (unless it's raining too hard or hailing which hasn't happened yet).

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:13 am »
In 2000 an ex employee built me a 3 tiered stand with 1.5" square tubing, something along the lines of a morebeer.com brew sculpture.  I use 3 converted kegs with false bottoms in the mash tun and kettle.  I brew in the garage with the door open unless the wind is blowing over 30 mph, then I leave the door open about a foot.
I use a combo immersion chiller and CFC to cool my wort, then it's pumped into a 12 gallon stainless conical in a refrigerated chamber or 2 buckets in a temp controlled fridge.
It takes me about 5 hours from firing up the mash tun burner to scrubbing the kettle to do either a 10 or 15 gallon batch of regular to lower gravity beers.  Big beers like a wee heavy or RIS require 2-3 hour boils so they take longer.
Brewing alone is great, but lately I've been teaching a newbie to brew.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:14:03 am by corkybstewart »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 07:48:56 am »
I brew out on the deck and ferment in the laudry room or cold storage room (both in the basement).  48qt Coleman cooler for a mashtun, 30qt aluminum pot and turkey frier for a kettle, which also serves double duty for heating water.  This will be my first winter at it, so I won't be surprised if the eastern Canadian winters force me to mash inside, so I don't loose too much heat from the mashtun.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »
I mash and sparge in the kitchen, then boil outside. I live in Montana and have had brewdays at 10 degrees below zero.