Apparently, I let my last batch of Oatmeal Stout ferment too warm. I kegged it and started carbonating it on 3/27/11; on 4/3/11 I pulled a sample and it had a sharp alcohol/solvent finish. I figured it was too young and let it sit in the fridge (40F) for a few more weeks. I pulled a sample off last night, 4/27/11, and it still has the sharp alcohol/solvent finish.
From everything I have read, I think this is fusels; and they are formed from fermenting too warm, so I must have let it ferment too warm.
10 lb 2-row Pale Malt
0.5 lb Special B
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Roasted Barley
0.5 lb Flaked Oats
1 oz Cascade 90 min
1 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Cascade 30 min
1 oz Cascade 0 min
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (yeast cake from an Irish Red)
Single Infusion Batch Sparge with equal runnings.
90 min Boil
Chilled the wort to 59/60 degrees before racking onto the yeast cake.
Put bucket into the Fermentation fridge with an ambient temp set to 64F for 2 weeks.
I was busy at work so I didn't keep a very good eye on this batch, just made sure the fermentation started then ignored it until ready to keg it. I was doing some work on my house in the same area and it is possible that the plug for the fridge got jiggled loose, but I don't really recall.
Anyway, all of that to get to the question in the subject line.
Now that I have the fusels, can I get rid of them? Will it age out?
Any suggestions and comments are appreciated!