Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Western or Gambrinus for IPA's?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
Great Western or Gambrinus for IPA's?
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
I got a chance to try Great Western or Gambrinus for the first time and am wondering what other brewers likes and dislikes of either one for IPA's.  Would GW 2 row or pale malt be best for a IPA?  How's Gambrinus Pale for IPA's?
I'm going to get a sack so I want to be sure I make the right decision.  All opinions/comments appreciated!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Great Western or Gambrinus for IPA's?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57:16 pm »
I got a chance to try Great Western or Gambrinus for the first time and am wondering what other brewers likes and dislikes of either one for IPA's.  Would GW 2 row or pale malt be best for a IPA?  How's Gambrinus Pale for IPA's?
I'm going to get a sack so I want to be sure I make the right decision.  All opinions/comments appreciated!

GW 2 row pale malt is a great malt, IMO.  I consider it and Rahr to be the 2 best domestic pale malts I've tried.  I bought 3 bags of Gambrinus a couple years back and was very disappointed by the flavor and the poor efficiency I got.  2 of the 3 bags seemed to be mostly husk.  I have to assume that's not normal for Gambrinus, but it put me off trying it again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Great Western or Gambrinus for IPA's?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45:22 pm »
I have gotten gambrinus that last couple of times I brewed and it seems fine. I don't have enough experience with other grains to compare but I did get about 83% efficiency (total) on a partygyle batch of barley wine/small beer with the gambrinus pale.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce