Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New brewery  (Read 7747 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
New brewery
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:50:32 pm »
As you may be able to tell from all my recent posting, I'm really getting excited about brewing again. (been listening to The Session) So, I took some measurements today, did some planning and made a material list. I'm going to put a small addition on the mancave, so I can do my brewing right here. Looking at the pic I posted, I'm coming out from the front wall 8 foot. and then, from the end wall on the right, I will come over 6 ft 8 in. That will put me about four inches off the window. Sure, it's not huge (that's what she said) just a little over 53 sq ft. But, with careful planning, I think it will be very workable, and useable. I'm very organized, and keep things in their place, so it will be fine for me. Not including flooring, to get the structure up, I'm only looking at about 350$ I am installing a floor drain, with tile floor, for easy clean up. Of course, an good vent hood, and I will plumb it, and put a good slop sink in. As I do not have water out there, I will just put a garden hose conection on the outside, and hook up the hose for brewing. Cold water only. I think I will have  18" counters on two wallsthe front wall, and looking at the front, down the left wall. I'll thow in some cabinets as I am able to pick them up free of cheap, down the road.
   As far a burners and a stand go, I think down the right hand wall, I will fab and install some type of hinged fold down two burner system. A March pump is in the works, so, single tier will be fine. I am also thinking of hard plumbing my burners, and run it outside, so my propane tank is outside while brewing. That's my plan. Now, I need help. What suggestions do you all have? Besides making it bigger, that is not an option, what what you do different, and what am I forgetting to add?

A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: New brewery
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:11:30 am »
I will just put a garden hose conection on the outside, and hook up the hose for brewing. Cold water only.

I have one similar to THIS ONE.....110v, makes a couple of gallons of very hot water in 15 minutes.

Just make sure you drain it when it gets cold, or leave it plugged in on the "frost free" setting. You could install an air hose connection in your plumbing to blow it out when done.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:13:32 am by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:58:15 am »
As you may be able to tell from all my recent posting, I'm really getting excited about brewing again. (been listening to The Session) So, I took some measurements today, did some planning and made a material list. I'm going to put a small addition on the mancave, so I can do my brewing right here. Looking at the pic I posted, I'm coming out from the front wall 8 foot. and then, from the end wall on the right, I will come over 6 ft 8 in. That will put me about four inches off the window. Sure, it's not huge (that's what she said) just a little over 53 sq ft. But, with careful planning, I think it will be very workable, and useable. I'm very organized, and keep things in their place, so it will be fine for me. Not including flooring, to get the structure up, I'm only looking at about 350$ I am installing a floor drain, with tile floor, for easy clean up. Of course, an good vent hood, and I will plumb it, and put a good slop sink in. As I do not have water out there, I will just put a garden hose conection on the outside, and hook up the hose for brewing. Cold water only. I think I will have  18" counters on two wallsthe front wall, and looking at the front, down the left wall. I'll thow in some cabinets as I am able to pick them up free of cheap, down the road.
   As far a burners and a stand go, I think down the right hand wall, I will fab and install some type of hinged fold down two burner system. A March pump is in the works, so, single tier will be fine. I am also thinking of hard plumbing my burners, and run it outside, so my propane tank is outside while brewing. That's my plan. Now, I need help. What suggestions do you all have? Besides making it bigger, that is not an option, what what you do different, and what am I forgetting to add?

Image extrapolation and enhancement has verified that Weaz has NO PANTS, I repeat, NO PANTS in this photograph.

Carry on citizens.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:02:19 am »
I would say design everything with restaurant kitchen design in mind - prep area, cold side, hot side, storage, etc. Keep your cleaning supplies all the way to the left, then your grains, then kettles, then cooler, etc. It'll save you from having to run all over the place during your brew-day.
----

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:36:12 pm »
Update, looks like I have a nice pile of cash coming my way in the next month or two, so it'll be a go. No, I plan to add two new jet burners, I 30# propane tank, maybe a plate chiller. And maybe, just maybe a conicle. This is almost to good to be true.  8)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:04:32 am »
Update, looks like I have a nice pile of cash coming my way in the next month or two, so it'll be a go. No, I plan to add two new jet burners, I 30# propane tank, maybe a plate chiller. And maybe, just maybe a conicle. This is almost to good to be true.  8)

Nice! Congrats. Tax refund? Lottery?
----

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:29:36 pm »
 Dead grandmother, actually. And, change of plans. Addition will now be 8x10.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:30:07 pm »
Dead grandmother, actually. And, change of plans. Addition will now be 8x10.
Cheer to grandma.
You will always think about her when you are there.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:52:52 pm »
All I can say is "Go for it!!!"  I'm jealous.  A dedicated space for your brewing will be awesome.
Got a name for this enterprise yet?  American Bacon Brewery? 

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:57:23 pm »
Beers for Men Who Wear Skirts? ::)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:32:53 pm »
Beers for Men Who Wear Skirts? ::)
It's a KILT dammit!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:10:51 am »
When I remodeled my garage for brewing, the first thing to go in was a floor drain with the floor at a 1/8" per ft. slope down to it.  It's the best part of the brewing space.   When I re-remodeled last fall, I added an under counter water heater in the base cabinet for the sink.  I can't tell you how great it is to have hot water.  I suggest you consider both things.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:01:31 am »
I can't tell you how great it is to have hot water.

This is huge. When I moved into the new house, I thought it was pretty nifty that the garage had its own hot water heater (to heat water for the mother in law apartment).

Having brewed several times and cleaned a ton of gear, I can't believe how ridiculously wonderful it is to have hot water right there.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 10:29:22 am »
I can't tell you how great it is to have hot water.

This is huge. When I moved into the new house, I thought it was pretty nifty that the garage had its own hot water heater (to heat water for the mother in law apartment).

Having brewed several times and cleaned a ton of gear, I can't believe how ridiculously wonderful it is to have hot water right there.

I couldn't agree more. I have to haul my kettles out to the patio for cleaning after every brew session. What a PITA it can be. I have a utility basin in my cellar but need one in my garage where I currently brew.
Ron Price

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 11:10:52 am »
When I was planning my "man cave", I wanted a few things for my brewery. First, a commercial stainless 3 bay sink and overhead sprayer (Craigs list $200) with a tankless water heater, A floor drain was next. Clean up is a lot easier and quicker. I put the green sheet rock around my brewing area, in case I splash water on it. If I were brewing close to the wall, I'd consider something water proof and fire resistant.

As an added bonus, which I haven't used yet, while they were installing my tankless water heater, I had them stub off a propane connection both inside and outside so when hooked up, I won't have to mess with propane tanks.

It is sooo nice to have everything I need within a few feet of the brew stand. I used to have to drag the stand out of the garage and several trips to my "junk room". DW likes it too because it doesn't wake her early during Brew Day. More bullets, right!

Have fun and I hope it all comes together like you want it!