Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 - Weeks to get it done  (Read 6393 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
2 - Weeks to get it done
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:10:21 pm »
I know dbeechum has a thread going on fastest turn around but I don't want to hijack it so here goes.
My neighbour is having his birthday party 2 weeks Saturday.  He mentioned to my wife today that he should have put in his order for beer before and that now it's too late.  I'm wondering if it's not too late. 
What's the best suggestion for style and OG to get this done.  I'm thinking 11 days in primary and then right to the keg to force carb.  Want to make sure I clean up any diacetyl so I want to leave it on the yeast as long as I can.
Here's what I have to work with:

Pale and MO malts
Chocolate, carafa ll, roast barley, crystal 45, 1 lb flaked corn, malted rye ( 5 lbs), Vienna ( 5 lbs) - saving the Vienna for an O'fest.
Northern Brewer, East Kent Goldings, Amarillo leaf, Cascade leaf, Liberty leaf, Hallertau pellets, Tettnanger pellets ( was keeping the Hallertau and Tettnanger for an O'fest but if i have to...)
White labs California Ale X 2, harvested Wyeast London III, harvested Wyeast 2112 California lager.  Both the harvested yeast probably need a starter. (Also have WLP833 but not using that).

What about this for 10 gals? (2X5 gal glass carboys)
12 lbs of Pale
1 lb crystal 45
1 lb flaked corn
1 oz NB at 60
1/2 oz of EKG at 15
WLP001
Any reason to add rye malt to this?  Bought the rye for Cali Common clones which I keep hearing may have some rye in them.
I may consider adding a touch of carafa II because my friend really likes a cream ale we have here that is more amber than pale, I think that this will add some colour without adding a lot of flavour and impacting the mouthfeel I'm after with the corn.  Thoughts?

Beertools says that this would be close, but not exact for a cream ale, marginally too bitter and marginally too dark but pretty close.  I'm looking for something in the 4 - 4.5 % ABV range.  I'm using 83% for my efficiency calculation based on my last few batch sparges. If I closely manage the temps, can this be done and decent tasting in 2 weeks?

Please make suggestions but I'll probably give this a try tomorrow, Saturday at the latest.
Thanks.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: 2 - Weeks to get it done
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:32:49 am »
You could also go with an APA using just the pale and crystal.  Hop it with the amarillo and cascade and you should be good to go.
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:42:58 am »
What are you looking for?

American Pale or more of an English profile?
Ron Price

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:13:00 am »
I'm with Hokerer. Good beer that should be ready in 2 weeks. Make the starter now, brew tomorrow or Sunday.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:32:58 am »
Still use the WLP001 for an APA?  I got the Amarillo and Cascade with the intent of doing an IPA down the road (only 2 onces of each, both whole leaf).

The yeast is pretty fresh so I was actually going to brew today and skip the starter this once because I wasn't looking for a huge OG beer.  Mistake?  Also, I only have one container to do starter in and I was going to start the WLP833 for a brew on Sunday or Monday.  Maybe trying to rush one like this is a mistake. 

My personal preference, and also the preference of my friend is more toward English styles than American.  He's from England and grew up living over a pub his family ran (which makes me feel good that he likes my beer).  Because of this, I may stick on the English side and save the hops above for that IPA I was thinking of but I really don't know.  This may be a real experiment that could go well or very badly.  If it goes badly, I'll drink it in private.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:33:56 am »
I'd say be prepared to tell him that the beer won't be ready in time.  You might make it, but if it's not ready do you really want to serve sub par beer?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:41:18 am »
I guess you're gonna need one of these:   :P   lol

Williams Warn Personal Brewery - From wort to glass in 1 week
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:45:35 am »
I'd say be prepared to tell him that the beer won't be ready in time.  You might make it, but if it's not ready do you really want to serve sub par beer?
I think my beers still a bit sub par anyway but that's probably the best advice.  I'll get a starter going and brew another day.  Also haven't brewed in a while and I just picked up a whole bunch of supplies so I'm keen to do a batch too.
Thanks

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:04:28 am »
I think you have plenty of time.  That beer should be fermented in 3-5 days, then it will have time to settle out.  It may not be crystal clear  (you could use gelatin).  It can be force carbonated in minutes and ready to drink.  I've brewed milds in this time frame so I know you can do it.  YOU CAN DO IT, MAN.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:07:57 am »
So how imperative is a starter?  That's the only thing holding me back right now. 
BBF date is July 18.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 09:12:40 am »
So how imperative is a starter?  That's the only thing holding me back right now. 
BBF date is July 18.

10 gallons, right?  If you pitch 2 yeast packets (2 Wyeast pouches (Activator - NOT propagator) or White Labs vials) you should be OK. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:32:47 am »
BBF date is July 18.

10 gallons, right?  If you pitch 2 yeast packets (2 Wyeast pouches (Activator - NOT propagator) or White Labs vials) you should be OK. 

That doesn't seem like enough to me.  Graham, check mrmalty.com to be certain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 09:34:36 am »
So how imperative is a starter?  That's the only thing holding me back right now.  
BBF date is July 18.

If the yeast is activated before being poured into the wort you'll see better results, so in my opinion it's pretty imperative.  However, even if the yeast is in the starter for a couple hours you'll be better off. .
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 09:54:28 am »
You could make the starter today.  Make the wort today also.  Pitch the yeast tomorrow after the yeast had had some time to get going.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 10:03:55 am »
I checked Mr. Malty this morning.  I'd need a 3.2 L starter if I used one vial for 5 gals.  I'm going to make a starter right now and get the yeast going, probably pitch it just before bed tonight or tomorrow AM.  Hate the idea of leaving it unpitched. 
Also, I scaled back to just 5 in the interest of time today.

This is mashing right now.
8.5 lbs Pale
0.5 lbs C 45
1 lb Flaked corn
100 grams Chocolate Malt (like I said earlier, my favourite Cream Ale is  Muskoka Cream Ale which is more dark amber/copper than pale)

Not even sure of the hops yet, this one is really a work in progress (don't worry, I have much better plans for my O'fest etc)
I also discovered I have 2 more ounces of Cascade and 2 of Willamette. 
Keep the suggestions coming, I'm off to get more propane.