Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 - Weeks to get it done  (Read 6355 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: 2 - Weeks to get it done
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:33:34 am »
What no LHBS?  I'd go with dry yeast if possible.  US-05 is great in a pinch.  If not,  make the starter and pitch tonight or in the morning.  No worries, bro.  You have plenty of time, IMO.
-J.K.L.   

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 11:28:50 am »
If you scaled back to 5 gallons, you can just pitch both vials and be done with it.  That is way more than enough yeast for 5 gallons of 4-4.5% beer.

What kind of efficiency do you get?  Because unless you're down around 60% you're going to overshoot your target ABV.  Or did your target change?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 11:34:33 am »
If you scaled back to 5 gallons, you can just pitch both vials and be done with it.  That is way more than enough yeast for 5 gallons of 4-4.5% beer.

What kind of efficiency do you get?  Because unless you're down around 60% you're going to overshoot your target ABV.  Or did your target change?

Yeah - sorry.  I realized what I'd posted earlier was about 1/2 of what he'd need.  Still 1/2 asleep over here.  (D'oh!)
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 11:39:06 am »

Yeah - sorry.  I realized what I'd posted earlier was about 1/2 of what he'd need.  Still 1/2 asleep over here.  (D'oh!)
I'm not sure you were that far off.  For a low gravity beer I think one pack is generally plenty, but with the tight timeline I'd recommend extra just to make sure it finishes in time.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 11:57:03 am »

I'm not sure you were that far off.  For a low gravity beer I think one pack is generally plenty, but with the tight timeline I'd recommend extra just to make sure it finishes in time.

I'll admit, with some lower gravity beers (and since I split my 10 gallon batches into 2 fermenters), I have often just pitched one White Labs vial in each fermenter w/o making a starter. 

Other than vigorous fermentation taking a bit longer to get started, I have never really noticed any detrimental effects.  I will be making a starter for my next beer, however,  an OG 1.089 Imperial IPA.  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 12:00:58 pm »
If you scaled back to 5 gallons, you can just pitch both vials and be done with it.  That is way more than enough yeast for 5 gallons of 4-4.5% beer.

What kind of efficiency do you get?  Because unless you're down around 60% you're going to overshoot your target ABV.  Or did your target change?

Uh oh...  My efficiency has been running close to 90 the last couple batches.  I'm guessing this will be a little strong?  9 lbs of malt plus a pound of corn.  9x36 =324+38=362/5 =1.072 predicted OG?  Take 85% of that, 1.061 or there abouts?  Does that sound right?  Probably end up closer to 6 or 6.5 ABV?  Took the pre-boil gravity.  7.4 gallons (28L) at 1.044.

I seem to have a bad habit of overshooting my goal.  I was gonna leave the corn out and then at the last minute I figured, screw it why not.  Well, I'm sure it will be ok, just need some moderation.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:34:08 pm by gmac »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »
Some moderation and some extra yeast ;)  You can always dilute it post boil if you have fermenter space.

If you're always overshoothing though, you might want to take a look at how you're coming up with your recipes and make an adjustment.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 01:01:58 pm »
If you're always overshoothing though, you might want to take a look at how you're coming up with your recipes and make an adjustment.
Recipe???

This one was sort of seat of my pants as you can tell.  I have been underestimating my efficiency because I keep thinking it shouldn't be as good as it has been but the last 5 batches have been pretty stable at 85-89%.  I started my first recipe at a 65% assumption and I've been working down each time from there.  But, I drop the grain by 1 lb and I get more efficiency that seems to offset my change.  I think from here on, working at 87% will get me closer.

I keep telling myself my next beer will be a session mild at 3-4% but then something comes up and I change plans. 
I may try for a mild really soon, maybe even tomorrow since I'm gonna have to back off my O'fest plans until I get a really good starter going for that one.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 03:18:05 pm »
Final results were 23L of 1.060.  No room to water it down so it is what it is.  Could take a bit longer to ferment out now that it's higher.  Not worried about it.  If it's not done on time, I'll drink it later.  No sense rushing things if it turns out badly.  Still, 11 or 12 days on the yeast cake and then a fast force carb, should be do-able.  We shall see.
Thanks

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 10:52:17 am »
Just an update.  Took a gravity today and it was 1.018 or 1.020.  Still got a bit to go.  Not sure what the final will be but I'm shooting for 1.012 to 1.014.  Tasted ok, good clarity from what I could see.
I'm a bit worried about it finishing out, some of my brews have seemed to take a very long time to finish up so I added gave it a bit of a shake and put it on top of a heating pad wrapped in a garbage bag.  The ambient temp in the room is about 65 degrees and it's sitting in a plastic bucket right on the concrete floor so I think it could be a bit cold.  Hopefully ramping it up 5 degrees will get it to finish.  I'll leave it on the yeast cake until Thursday.
One question.  I'm going to use gelatin to fine it.  Should I do that on Thursday and then keg Friday or should I keg first and then add the gelatin? 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 12:09:59 pm »
Just an update.  Took a gravity today and it was 1.018 or 1.020.  Still got a bit to go.  Not sure what the final will be but I'm shooting for 1.012 to 1.014.  Tasted ok, good clarity from what I could see.
I'm a bit worried about it finishing out, some of my brews have seemed to take a very long time to finish up so I added gave it a bit of a shake and put it on top of a heating pad wrapped in a garbage bag.  The ambient temp in the room is about 65 degrees and it's sitting in a plastic bucket right on the concrete floor so I think it could be a bit cold.  Hopefully ramping it up 5 degrees will get it to finish.  I'll leave it on the yeast cake until Thursday.
One question.  I'm going to use gelatin to fine it.  Should I do that on Thursday and then keg Friday or should I keg first and then add the gelatin? 
It should be cold before using gelatin.  I guess it may depend on whether you plan on reusing the yeast, because if you fine it before you keg then the yeast will have a layer of gelatin on it.  I don't know how much difference that makes, but it may be something to consider.  I usually use gelatin in the keg.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:14 pm »
Today's the day.  Party is tonight and the beer is done.  I put it on CO2 at 30PSI for the night and shook the heck out of it.  Just poured the first glass and I have to say, I think that this is my best beer so far.  The colour is good, the flavour is nice, good hop/malt balance.  Darker than you'd think a Cream Ale should be but I'm trying to match a specific beer brand that is darker.  I'm very happy with this one and I definitely think that this is going to be going into rotation!  Clarity is not bad but I think all the shaking didn't help any.  More settling time would be good.

First time using WLP001 and I really like it. 
Thanks for all the advice.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 01:09:57 pm »
Congrats, Graham!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 08:42:14 pm »
Nice work. Glad it all worked out for you. It was a group effort and worked!

Although you did all the work.  :)
Ron Price