Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP029 at 58F?  (Read 15219 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
WLP029 at 58F?
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:21:07 pm »
Quick question: what happens when WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch ferments at the high 50's? I had read that I should ferment this in the low-mid 60's, so I pitched a 3L stir-plate starter (decanted) into 5.5 gallons of 62 degree wort, with the intention of keeping the fermentation temperature to around 64F by leaving my fermentation. For some reason, my fermentation freezer didn't warm up as much as I'd expected, and the beer is fermenting fairly vigorously at 58F. I am trying to raise the temperature to 64, but clearly this beer has been fermenting at 58F for at least 12 hours at this point. What should I be expecting?

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
Re: WLP029 at 58F?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:26:54 pm »
I think you'll be just fine.   I routinely pitch WLP029 into my kolsh at 55, let it run at 58 for 3-4 days, then warm it to 62 to finish.

For what it's worth, my last Kolsh I fermented this way took 1st prize in the NHC first round this year.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »
That's good news. I was planning on building up the yeast from this 5.5 gal altbier and pitching the whole cake into a 12 gal Kölsch. What's the lag time on this yeast? How long should I expect it to be before I can drink this altbier? 

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:01:55 pm »
Quick question: what happens when WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch ferments at the high 50's?

Deliciousness ensues.

the beer is fermenting fairly vigorously at 58F.

If the carboy's rockin', don't bother knockin'.  That yeast works great at that temp.  3 NHC first round medals that way.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »
I have to agree with Gordon in that "deliciousness ensues".

This yeast performs best between 58-60F. It has a fantastic fruity ester character that works so well with German Pilsner. I make a Kolsch every Summer and it goes quick. I highly recommend this yeast.
Ron Price

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:41:59 am »
That's a perfect temperature. Let the yeast run with it. I just brewed a Kolsch this past Friday and pitched at 58F. Six hours later, it was actively fermenting and has been going steadily since. I'll bump the temp to 62F in a few more days to make sure it finishes. Then lager until the weather here starts to get hot.
Mark Gres

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »
I have a "cream ale" going right now at 52F ... and it goes great.  The past three batches of the cream ale fermented at 52F to 54F, have medaled 5 out of 5 times.

The only thing I have found with that yeast is that you HAVE TO make a starter.  Otherwise the lag time, even with a fresh tube in a 3 gallon batch, will have a lag time measured in days...Once it has "woken up" up though, it will rock'n'roll in the 50s just fine.

Lastly, you may wish to let it lager for 3 to 4 weeks as well.  I have found a great improvement during that time, and if you can give it two months... it is fantastic!

Enjoy!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:56:57 pm »
I have a "cream ale" going right now at 52F ... and it goes great.  The past three batches of the cream ale fermented at 52F to 54F, have medaled 5 out of 5 times.

The only thing I have found with that yeast is that you HAVE TO make a starter.  Otherwise the lag time, even with a fresh tube in a 3 gallon batch, will have a lag time measured in days...Once it has "woken up" up though, it will rock'n'roll in the 50s just fine.

Lastly, you may wish to let it lager for 3 to 4 weeks as well.  I have found a great improvement during that time, and if you can give it two months... it is fantastic!
Enjoy!

This has been my experience as well. Lagering this beer does wonders. The colder the better.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 04:33:46 am »
Well, my alt spent a couple days chugging at 58F and now it's going strong at 62F. I will let it ride there for another week or so before I raise it to ambient for a few days while I let my fermentation chamber take on an IPA. Then I will rack the alt into a corny and pitch the slurry into 12 gallons of Kölsch which I will probably also ferment in the high 50's now that I know the yeast can take it.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:41:35 am »
Well, my alt spent a couple days chugging at 58F and now it's going strong at 62F. I will let it ride there for another week or so before I raise it to ambient for a few days while I let my fermentation chamber take on an IPA. Then I will rack the alt into a corny and pitch the slurry into 12 gallons of Kölsch which I will probably also ferment in the high 50's now that I know the yeast can take it.

I suspect you'll be very happy with the results.  :)

Let us know how it turns out.
Ron Price

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 06:02:47 am »

I would pitch about 1/8to 1/4 the slurry into the kolsch. (assuming good yeast health, proper oxygenation in the last beer...etc)  Pitching the full slurry is just too much yeast.  (assuming same batch size). 

My personal progression for this yeast is 2L yeast starter -> 3 gal cream ale (1/2 yeast slurry into) 5 gal Alt  1/2 into a 5 gal Kolsch.  After that my fridge is full for the first half of summer. 

This tends to be over pitching the yeast, but the results are good for me.  Based on what I have been reading lately, I think that if I went to pure O2, the yeast health would be better and I could cut down on the quantity of yeast slurry to start. 

Either way, keep the kolsch yeast at 52 to 58 and love the results!!!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:01:42 am »
I have a Kolsch (brewed 4/23) in the fermenter using this same yeast. It has been bubbling away nicely around 58-60 degrees since. The gravity on Monday was 1.020 (1.046 OG) so it's getting close. Do I need to raise the temp a little? This is my first time using this yeast.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:15:19 am »
This strain has a tendency to stall under temps of 62 degrees, especially near the end of fermentation. Definitely raise temp to the mid 60's near end.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 01:20:07 pm »
This yeast sure takes a long time to finish! My alt is still bubbling away at 62F. I was waiting for it to slow down a lot before I brought it to ambient for a week before cold crashing and racking.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »
It's taking a long time because it is not the best cold fermenter. I always start mine out at around 58, but let it raise to 62 and then finish it off in the mid to high 60s. Have had it stall many times under 62.