Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for advice on all late/single hop pale ale  (Read 1665 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Looking for advice on all late/single hop pale ale
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:46:04 pm »
I have decided to try an American pale ale using a single hop variety.  Actually the next few pale ales will be single hopped with different varieties each time.  First round all Chinook.  I have been toying with the idea of using only late hop additions from 15 minutes on down to flameout.  Unfortunately when I was getting the hops I was thinking I was only going to do a 5 gallon batch.  So I figured 3 oz. of 11.6% AA would be enough.  Well, I want to do a 10 gallon.   Roll Eyes

So, I went for an ounce FWH to get more bittering and then an ounce @ 10 minutes and an ounce @ flameout, or maybe 1 minute.

Would I be able to get a decently hoppy pale ale with only 3 oz. of Chinook added only as late additions?  My brewing software does not say so.  I have never done an all late addition beer.

Should I
a)go for it with the FWH and late additions
b)get some more hops and do all late addition only

And if so what should my additions look like.

Base beer looks about like this:

for 10 gallons:

18 # MO
8 oz. Carahell
8 oz. Carared

US-05 or 1056 if I can get some.
Dave Brush

Offline nwcitrus

• 1st Kit
Re: Looking for advice on all late/single hop pale ale
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »
Enso,

I think late additions and FWH works great. I mostly brew IPAs, using FWH, late additions (15-20 and 5 or less) and dry/keg hops. I think of APA as an IPA, with less hops, grain and color. I'm sure someone with "more experience" will correct me :-). Take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I punched your numbers into Beersmith (assuming 13% AA and 90 minute for the FWH) and you have 30.7 IBU. APA is 30-45 so you are barely in style (if you care). If you moved the 10 minute to 15 you have 33.5 IBU. Moving it to 20 minutes you have 35.7 IBU, which is still pretty low in my opinion.

If you really want to compare hops (assuming citrusy American hops here) I think more is better. I would go for high APA or IPA level of hops. You could easily double the hops to 6 oz (IMHO). I typically use 12-20 oz in 10 gallons of IPA/IIPA (including dry/keg hops).