Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

how long in my secondary, dry hopped with 1.5 oz cascade leaf?

1 week
4 (44.4%)
1.5 weeks
3 (33.3%)
2 weeks
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Secondary Fermentation?  (Read 6005 times)

Offline hiphophead

• Cellarman
Secondary Fermentation?
« on: December 03, 2009, 04:44:25 pm »
I fermented my ipa for 10 days afer using wyeast propagator with a starter wort and now have racked it into my secondary plus dry hopped with  1.5 oz. of Cascade leaf hops.  Im planning on kegging this for my first kegging experience so really how long should i keep it in the secondary?

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Secondary Fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:13:08 pm »
I have heard that with fresh hops you should keg within a week.  That said, the key marker is your final gravity.  If you have reached that then keg

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:28:43 am »
1-2 weeks is fine for dry hopping. FTR I know it is too late now next time just get a hop sock and dry hop directly in the keg. There is no need to secondary in a carboy if you have a keg for most beers. A keg is basically a big secondary - blow out the sediment with the fort pint or two and you are ready to go!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:46:51 am »
1-2 weeks is fine for dry hopping. FTR I know it is too late now next time just get a hop sock and dry hop directly in the keg. There is no need to secondary in a carboy if you have a keg for most beers. A keg is basically a big secondary - blow out the sediment with the fort pint or two and you are ready to go!

+1

I typically rack right into the keg over the dry hops after fermentation is complete.
Ron Price

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:40:58 am »

+1

I typically rack right into the keg over the dry hops after fermentation is complete.

The hops don't start to taste grassy after a while?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:44:14 am »
It will if you leave it in contact for months and months. But you are fine for several weeks. You can also just put them in a bag and remove them after a week or two if it concerns you.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:16:59 am »
It will if you leave it in contact for months and months. But you are fine for several weeks. You can also just put them in a bag and remove them after a week or two if it concerns you.

+1

I use a muslin bag so I can remove them as I get the right amount of hop aroma for my liking.
Ron Price

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:56 am »

I don't keg.  Just curious.  I left some in a secondary for about a month once and I think it tasted grassy.