Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gone shooting  (Read 4242 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Gone shooting
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:35:51 pm »
I haven't fired a handgun since I was 16 (which was 16 years ago), but my father-in-law took me to the range today.  Besides losing some of the skin on my thumb to a Glock breach, I think I did alright.  I put 50 rounds through a Charter Arms .38 snub nose revolver and 50 through a first-generation Glock 9mm.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Gone shooting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:41:36 pm »
Nice job. I'm not into guns, or hunting myself. I cretainly have nothing against either, just not into it. Was not raised hunting, or really around guns, besides a 22 to keep the varmints under control. My wife, Holly was raised in Idaho, and hunted deer and elk every season. Our anniversary is coming up the end of June. We were discussing gifts the other day. She asked me to get her a rifle and a compound bow.  :-\
  What did I marry!?!?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:03:12 pm »
Nice job. I'm not into guns, or hunting myself. I cretainly have nothing against either, just not into it. Was not raised hunting, or really around guns, besides a 22 to keep the varmints under control. My wife, Holly was raised in Idaho, and hunted deer and elk every season. Our anniversary is coming up the end of June. We were discussing gifts the other day. She asked me to get her a rifle and a compound bow.  :-\
  What did I marry!?!?

She have a sister?  ;D

Time to hit the range myself, got a few new irons...  8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:40:09 pm »
Three of them, actually. But sorry to say, Holly is the only tomboy of the bunch. Gotta love a girl who knows how to gut a deer, but at the same time so femine, and girlie. Did I sccore or what?  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:11:57 pm »
You married a "Dream Girl"  get out there and hunt together...It can be one of the most bonding times in life! plus Elk meat is so very very yummy!
Beer in various stages!

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:41:10 pm »
I went shooting with my brother a couple of weeks ago. We were both US Marines, but he was an expert sharpshooter, and he's a gunsmith to boot. I shot better than him, though I've not fired a gun in over 13 years. I out shot him with a .45, 9mm, and a 30-06 rifle. Needless to say, he was a little miffed. I calmed the waters with a few cold homebrews!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

ccarlson

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:35 pm »
I haven't fired a handgun since I was 16 (which was 16 years ago), but my father-in-law took me to the range today.  Besides losing some of the skin on my thumb to a Glock breach, I think I did alright.  I put 50 rounds through a Charter Arms .38 snub nose revolver and 50 through a first-generation Glock 9mm.

You need some head shots. He could have been wearing a vest.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:50:59 am »
I got to put 10 rounds through an M107 this morning.  AAAAA OOOOO!

Hands down the most overwhelming weapon I've ever fired!  Git Some!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:37:19 am »
The .50 cal sniper rifle or the 175mm SP gun?   ;)
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:07 am »
I got to put 10 rounds through an M107 this morning.  AAAAA OOOOO!

Hands down the most overwhelming weapon I've ever fired!  Git Some!

I trust you mean the Barrett and not this beast!!

Ammo got expensive a few years back and my shooting hobby died on the vine a bit.  But .38 and 9mm are going to be some of the cheaper more readily available pistol centerfire, so I can see that being more affordable.

Offline punatic

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 10:50:51 am »
This one:

Barrett .50 BMG (12.7 x 99mm)  M107 LRSR

I hear you about the cost of ammo.  That 10 round magazine cost about $50 to fire.  Worth every penny!

Even reloading has gotten expensive.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 11:28:29 am »
Years ago, when I was in Boy Scouts, I was into target shooting with both rifles and bow and arrow.  Did some skeet shooting, too, but I never had any urge to hunt.  I liked developing the skills but I didn't want to kill anything.  I once accidentally hit a mourning dove with an arrow and cried for hours.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 11:35:34 am »
That's too cool Denny.  The first weapon I ever fired was a single shot .22 at Boy Scount camp.  I'm like you, I'm not a hunter, but I do love to shoot!  Bowling pins quiver at the mere mention of my name...

AHA Life Member #33907

ccarlson

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:05 am »
Hunting is a personal choice and I do very little of it anymore. There are, however, 2 types of people that bother me. Those that are against hunting and will tell you so, while they're chomping down on their steak.  And second, the hunters that will make statements like " I feel like killing something". Yes, I have have heard that more than once. When I did hunt, the killing part was never something I enjoyed.

That said, you can't beat grilled dove wrapped in bacon with a jalapeño inside.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »
I haven't fired a handgun since I was 16 (which was 16 years ago), but my father-in-law took me to the range today.  Besides losing some of the skin on my thumb to a Glock breach, I think I did alright.  I put 50 rounds through a Charter Arms .38 snub nose revolver and 50 through a first-generation Glock 9mm.

Decent grouping for center mass.

Take it from a Class 2 & 3 L.E. firearms instructor and graduate of the Ft. Benning Sniper School... to close in the vertical stringing, watch your breath control. Breathing during the final stage of trigger advancement will cause that or waiting too long after the stop/hold (breath in, half out & hold) will also. After a few seconds of not breathing the heart will start beating harder and the transmitted core vibrations will be amplified to the hands. The sight alignment/trigger advancement/breath hold should be all be in synch.

Raising the hand on the grip will tighten this up too if the top part of the web between the thumb and forefinger is not properly indexed..
 Milking the grip (squeezing with the whole hand instead of just the trigger finger) will also. Make sure that once the grip is established nothing changes except the trigger finger. No changes in the pressure of the rest on the hand/fingers.

Assuming a right hand grip, the group can be centered back left (the sights are properly aligned?) by adding a little more trigger finger. Make sure the trigger finger is pulling straight back. Too little finger engagement with the trigger lever will cause the finger to "curl out" putting pressure on the side of the lever causing right movement during recoil; the opposite, too much finger if shooting left hand will cause a right drift.

Not trying to criticize, just trying to help. The better you shoot the better you want to shoot.

50% of shooting is 95% mental preparation.

Great overall. I wouldn't want them holes in me ;D

Keep up the good work. Just try to get that vertical string in more of a circle ;)  

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee